106 XND wont move!

Hi, I tried to pull away this morning and my car wont move. The front end seems to start to pull away (making the rear of the car dip) but it just wont budge.

I havent moved the car in just over a week and the weather has been quite warm. I tried putting the car in neutral and pushing it, but it still wont move. I wanted to try to reverse to see if that worked any better but someone has parked right up my arse (as usual) so thats not an option until they move. I figure something has seized but thats just a guess.

Reply to
Teznie

Have you tried releasing the hand-brake? :-)

Reply to
Matthew

I bought and xnd recently from a garage - the ex-owner had sold it to the garage as the back axle had siezed somehow - the only repair was a replacement axle which the garage salvaged from another scrap 106. I don't know how common this is on 106's and I hope your problem isn't similar but its just a thought ??

Matthew wrote:

Reply to
p.cowburn

Hello,

This is nothing to worry about! What you need to do is put the car in

1st gear and try and pull away (as you say make the rear dip), then switch to reverse gear make the front of the car dip.

Just keep doing this back and forth until you hear an almighty bang sound. That's the sound of the brakes releasing. They've seized by the sounds of things.

Start gently but as you go back and forth put a bit more pedal on if needed.

Once it's released obviously check the hand brake's correct operation! And foot brake too. But it should be fine.

If you want to be extra cautious pop the car to your local garage and get them to check the cables, and brakes. I did this the last 2 times when my car had this prob and each time the garage said nothing wrong (I have an honest garage that won't do work for the =A3 of it).

Good luck, John

Reply to
maxthepug

Thanks maxthepug, I was wait for the chance to try to reverse, and what you said would happen did. And what a bang it was, everything seems fine. I guess I should move the car a little everyday, or maybe just leave it in gear.

Reply to
Teznie