106XRD Cold Start Problems

Hi,

I?ve read a number of postings about the cold start problems on the Peugeot 106XRD, from what I can gather there is a problem with the valve clearances. Is this an easy job to do for a novice or will it be better to get it done at a garage? If it?s the latter any idea how much it should cost?

I?m also going to check the glow plugs, what is the best way to do this and where is the best place to buy replacements?

Thanks!

Reply to
MG22

What I would do is to disconnect the wire connecting the glow plugs together (the 12 V feed) and then with an Ohm meter measure the impedance of each plug (to earth). They should all be the same impedance which is of the order of 1 or 2 ohms. On my wife's 106 diesel (1994)the glow plugs are easy to get at but I can't vouch for later models. Frinstance on the Xantia 1.9 TD 1996 they are a right pig to get at and I had the garage change them. I used Halfords glow plugs as a friend of mine uses them in his 205 diesel and has had no problem. Doubtless others will disagree, my garage mechanic uses someone elses but as I'd already got the Halfords ones in he used those.

Reply to
Malc

Assuming this is the 1.5 engine, then the glow plugs are very easy to change. The earlier 1.4 is much more difficult. As far as the valve clearances are concerned, they are easy to check, the Haynes manual tells you that one, but changing the clearance can be a little more difficult as the camshaft has to be moved, which really means removing the cam belt, though i did manage to do it by just undoing the bearing caps and allowing the cam to tilt up, making sure that the belt did NOT slip off the pulley. This allowed me to get at the shims, which are on top of the cam followers on the 1.5. These shims then either have to be replacd with ones which give the correct clearance, or possibly carefully ground down, but this would not be easy. In practice, I found that I could get most of the clearances correct by swapping the shims around, and only then had to get a couple of new ones. Again, the Haynes manual gives reasonable details of how to do this. Whether you decide to do it yourself depends on your confidence in your own ability. You should easily be able to check the clearances if you have a feeler guage. The next bit is a little more involved. Brian.

Reply to
brian

The plugs on our 1.4 are right along the front of the engine. Reaching them is a doddle.

Reply to
Malc

I had valve clearances done on my 106 because i have 0 ability when it comes to cars!! It cost me £100, bit steep but worth it to have a reliable car again. ele

Reply to
ele