1996 406 hard starting

Iam a UK based autotech and I have a customer with a 96 406(petrol) which on occassions is very hard to start from cold. He has had it into main dealers for diagnostic test and they say there is nothing wrong. Anyone else had similar problems? Thanks Clive

Reply to
Clive Turnbull

May sound a daft reply but is the battery up to full strength ie all cells holding their charge. I've had no start/poor start 'cos of a dieing battery.

Reply to
John Hollinshead

Hello,

Depending on ECU behaviour when cold, may indicate a loose coolant temp sensor connection.

Regards, G.T (Twice non-admitted at PSA's) snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

No, turns over a treat and has had a new battery. Ta Clve

Reply to
Clive Turnbull

Faulty sensor would show up on a diagonistic. I had took my v6 into Cooksons (Macclesfield) They stripped the injectors and found a defective "coil" replaced it. All was fine afterwards Total cost £250, and a car that worked.

Reply to
John Hollinshead

I think it was Cooksons he took it to. I think I will have to go one cold morning and pull a plug lead off and make sure it is sparking from the word go. If it is I will have to asume I should be looking for a fuel problem. Many thanks Clive

Reply to
Clive Turnbull

"You do need to be very precise with the symptons and required test conditions when explaining things to "them" at Cooksons, likely come from th' 'ills. But with perceverance it will sink in and they might discover, like mine, the cause of the problem.

Reply to
John Hollinshead

Couldn't agree more!! Thanks Clive

Reply to
Clive Turnbull

Replace the Coolant Temp Sensor and customer says it is now "acceptable" Good enough for me. Thanks all Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Turnbull