1999 406 tracking problem

I have recently bought a 1999 406 Estate (Diesel Executive 110 version). There is one irritating issue with it. It pulls in to the left. So far I've had a 4 wheel alignment done on it and the vendor

*says* he has changed the wheels about without any change whatever.

The car has had a fairly adventurous life and appears to have been used by someone like a vet, as it has obviously spent a lot of its time on un-metalled roads. I checked the steering when choosing the car and this problem was not present at the time. However the front coil springs had to be replaced as well as some of the rear links and the rear discs.

There doesn't appear to be any evidence of accident damage leading to distortion of the car (at least to my fairly experienced DIY eye). The problem is there under load and with the clutch out.

Characteristically, if you take your hands off the wheel on a straight stretch, the car begins to pull left immediately, eventually setting itself to a turn of about 4 or 5 degrees. On a curve on the A19 this afternoon, I found that the car "set" itself quite happily and followed it round until the angle of turn changed. It runs happily up the camber on a wrongly cambered straight piece of road nearby, and will pull in against gale force cross winds.

Help!!!

David

Reply to
David Ex RPA

If you jack the wheels up do they spin freely? I had a similar problem which turned out to be a seized brake calliper?

Reply to
John Ricketts

We bought from a dealer who offers an all problems 6 month guarantee. He has just replaced the rear discs and pads and the front pads so I haven't personally checked it yet. The fuel consumption is so good though, I really doubt that there is a dragging brake.

David

John Ricketts wrote:

Reply to
David Ex RPA

This morning I had te chance to check the car's behaviour under braking and it behave exactly the same i.e. it pulls in exactly as it does when not under braking so the problem is clearly not related to the brakes.

David

David Ex RPA wrote:

Reply to
David Ex RPA