2002 406 estate rattle from door

Hello all. First post. Hope someone can help.

I have a 2002 406 HDi LX estate with a very annoying rattle from the passengers door when driving on anything other than a smooth road.

I had a similar rattle from both the rear doors when I bought the car. At that stage it was still in warranty and the Pug dealer replaced both rear door latches. Question is do I now need a new latch for the front pass door too? If so how much of a job is it to fit? As you can guess the car is out of warranty now (48k miles) so I won?t be getting the dealer to sort this out!

Any advice appreciated Doogal.

Reply to
doogal

I have the same car, same year, and same problem from same door. I was thinking it was aloose trim problem and never thought about the latch. Phil

Reply to
Philip Western

Thanks Phil. Good to know I?m not the only one suffering with this. I think that I have confirmed that it is the door latch. After much surfing I found a suggestion that greasing the latch mechanism may help. I?ve tried this tonight and it does seem to have cured the rattle. This may be only temporary! Has anyone else seen the same problem? Does anyone know what causes the latch to rattle?

Cheers Doogal

Reply to
doogal

There is on the latch a plastic roller and this wears. New latches, which are not expensive, will cure the rattle. Also try lubricating the aperture seal with a little vaseline.

Reply to
Nigel