205 1.8 D timing belt

Hi Guys, Whats the mileage interval for changing the belt on a 1.8 diesel? and how easy is it? I'm getting the Haynes manual for the engine, cos I like to know what going on under the bonnet, but quite frankly, I'm not impressed with the new range of manuals; every hard question is "refer to dealer" and the pages appear to be made out of toilet paper compared to the older manuals. I'll be scouting around car boot sales I reckon, for the older manuals, if they exist for Pugs and diesel 1.8s.

Cheers Stu.

Reply to
Stuart Gray
80000km

very easy. you don't need special tools. only some m8 bolts to block the camshaft and the diesel pump. also a 8 mm pin to stop the crankshaft (hole undser the starter engine). the belt uses a spring tensioner. i have done this some 4 times now. don't forget to check the bearings. good luck harry

Reply to
ha

Hello,

Previous deadline for belts, jumped to 120,000km or 5 years for HSN belts, introduced around 1992. My best guess is 100,000km or 5 years.

True, but changing tensionner is a bitch of a job, 'cause there isn't that much room. You also have to raise the engine to work (and to remove the upper engine mount).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Thanks for the information.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

headgasket

remove plastic belt covers Use a jack to lift the engine and remove the upper mount block cranck,pump and cam with m8 bolts remove the cranck belt wheel cut the old belt with a sissor unscrew the tensioner and un tension it fit the new belt release the tensioner fit the cranck bolt take the m8 out turn the engine BY hand 1 or two times see if the bolts fit again if not remove the belt and refit it again. else torque the tensioner bolts fit the cranck pooly and altenator belt remove ALL m8 bolts fit the top engine mount fit the covers start the engine your done :) release the jack

Reply to
andre_NL