205 (1989) Heater Blower/Fan

The fan on my 205 isn't working at all well and is a pain in this weather. I want tio replace the fan itself. Does the fan come out seperate to its motor? Is this an easy job to do? Would appreciate any advice - hope to try and sort it soon, I'm fed up wuth ice on the *inside* of the windscreen in the mornings!!!!! I need a fan that works when i want it to, not when it feels like it.....

Cheers, Ed.

Reply to
Ed

In message , Ed writes

They are a single unit.

Yes

The blower is over the passenger foot well.

It is a centrifugal blower with a vertical axis & the bottom plate is a black plastic moulding. There is sometimes, but not always, a piece of carpet trim underneath it - held in place by an aluminium tab.

After removing if needed the carpet trim, just remove the three screws that hold the blower in place & drop it out. Sometimes there is some kind of sealant ring which tends to hold it in place even after the screws have been removed, so you may need to find a little leverage to prise it out until it lets go.

Regards

Reply to
Dave English

Hello,

So, it's on the left side of the car ? On LHD cars, it's over passenger's footwell, too (so, right side). I just want to add that the blower fan also stopped working some years ago, due to the control connector unplugged - it happened a little after I replaced the headunit, I suppose it pulled wiring.

BTW, has anyone the fan control box schematic ? Mine started playing, and I wonder if it would be a trimmer / control box drift (car is 10 yrs old).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

In message , G.T writes

Yes

Not that surprising really:

front passenger compartment components - very likely to move.

engine compartment components - less likely to move

Sorry, I haven't.

The usual failure is that the blower starts to only work full off or full on. Is that what your is doing? That seems to be caused by the power transistor failing. Electronics people replace the transistor, car people replace the board from on in a scrap yard. Google groups for details.

ATB

Reply to
Dave English

Hello,

I get it, but indeed I never saw a RHD car - I mean, I haven't raised the bonnet of a RHD car.

No, but it may happen, as I just have a little setup gap.

I'm gonna have a look when it will become a "on/off only" fan.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T