205 brake shoe changing/realigning + parcel shelf spares wanted

Hello!

About 6 months ago I had to come to an abrupt stop one day. The brake warnign light flickered a couple of times and later that day started getting scratchy noises under braking. Was told the shoes had gone down to the metal. Had them replaced for 30 quid.

Today I had to do another emergency stop and the brake warning light has been flickering again (no noticeable problems/sounds from brakes though).

Is it the case that my shoes may have just slipped? Or if I need to fit new ones - can someone point me towards a guide? As usual, Haynes just says "Remove the shoe. Refitting is the reversal of removal" without pictures, handy :|

Also while I'm here I'm still looking for a 205 parcel shelf and one of the little fixtures that holds them in behind the seats. And both little bits of string that hold it up - am in London if that helps?

Thanks

Reply to
Chimp

Turns out it wasnt a false alarm either - can hear juddery noises at crawling speed :/ Help!

Reply to
Chimp

I know this might sound silly but have you looked at your brake fluid??? to see if it is low, from Chris Addlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris

My haynes has diagrams etc so I could scan you the relevent pages, and its not hard to work out once you have it all apart, but theres two different kinds of calipers fitted to 205s so you need to know which ones it has, easily checked by taking the wheel off and looking at them and comparing against diagrams, they look obviously different. I can also give you more detailed instructions if you have the same kind as i do (bendix).

I'd be amazed if you'd worn the pads down in 6 months unless you do some pretty crazy driving. Check to see that the wear indicator wire attatched to the front pads hasnt come loose and is connecting with some other piece of metal.

-- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

Well I ended up having a look - neither front brake had the wear indicator cabled up (that is, there is a wire coming down from inside the car with nothing joined to it). This seems to be a common thing in base model 205's, where they left the connectors in for features reserved for the higher end models I guess...

The pads looked brand new btw. But one thing I did notice - when I unscrewed the brake fluid cap to top it up (still fairly full) it was like the whole fluid sunk down - as if I was somehow releasing some pressure or trapped air. So maybe it was that.

But after doing that and poking the pads and reassembling the wheels, its stopped.

Is ignorance bliss?

:-S

Reply to
Chimp

Are the end of the wires insulated? If they are just loose that might be where the problem is, if they contact any part of the metal bodywork it'll set off the wear indicator light. But if topping up the brake fluid has (apparently) solved it, it could be that as well...

-- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

I've got a 205 i'll be breaking for spares shortly, if you want to come collect you can have the shelf/fixtures for a couple of quid. The shelf is light grey, if it matters. Located in Fleet, Hampshire. Email this address for further details if you're interested, and post here so I know to fish it out of the spam bin...

-- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

replied :)

Reply to
Chimp

Could be your fluid check the bowl to see if its got any fluid in it .

Reply to
Chris