205 Driving Light Wiring

Hi all, I have posted a question about this before, but actually have to do the job tomorrow in readiness for the MOT - I have front driving light on my XR, but have yet to wire them in - I understand that its a fail point to have them on the car, but not working. Anyway, I was advised that I needed to wire them in using a relay and a feed from the mainbeam headlights.

Can anyone provide more detailed information about relays? (ie - I dont really know what this does / how to wire it in?? - something I've never had to do before....) Bit of a novice in this area!!

Thanks in advance, Ed.

Reply to
Ed

I have replaced the driving lights on my Pug205 with spots, the wires are already there...? I do however want to wire in two spots extra... a lot of night time special stages in Dorset soon... I belive that you take a fed from the battery + that goes the relay, then you branch off the loon from the main beam fed to the headlights.... and the other goes to earth i think.......?

Been a while since i wired in 2 up and 2 downs on my car..

Reply to
Paulinho

If you mean a driving light that is seperate from your headlamps, then it is NOT tested on MOT.

To fit a relay, get one with a diagram on the sde. preferably a four terminal type. Two terminals go to the actuating solenoid inside the relay and the other two wires are connected to the switching contacts, once again inside the relay. Make a note of the terminal numbers on a piece of paper, and what they do in the relay. Then connect with some wire of roughly the correct thickness into the wire to your main beam at the bulb ( you could use scotchlocks here but they will corrode in time. Best use heat-shrink connectors (Raychem) which you should be able to get from Peugeot). The other end of that wire to the correct terminal on your relay (actuating solenoid). The other terminal of the actuating solenoid goes to earth. The two terminals left (switching contacts) are connected one to a live feed (maybe from the battery positive via a 30 amp inline fuse), and the other to the driving lamps. Then secure the relay to something handy with tape or a cable tie. I've tried to make this explanation as clear as I can. Hope it helps.

Reply to
Nigel

thats good as ive got my 2nd set of rally giants to fit

Thanks again!

Reply to
Paulinho