205 GTi brakes and Seats

HELP... I've just taken my 1.9 GTi for its MoT and it failed on inefficiency of the rear brakes and the front seats.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the pads, but the car hasn't been driven to bed them in.

On the way home from the test centre I did something silly, I yanked on the handbrake!!! The first time the back end dipped, but that was it, the second time I tried the wheels locked, but only by really tugging on the hand brake lever... the third time I tried it there was a loud crack noise from the lever and the hand brake no longer works!!!!!

If I pull the lever right the way back now (past the 90degree point) the back end dips slightly, so I don't think I have snapped the cable... what have I done???

The only other thing it failed on is the driver and passenger seats are loose on the runners... is there any way of tightening them???

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Roebear

There are 2 handbrake cables, you will have broken one of them, and the other one is just managing to pull the brake on...

Sorry, I don't know of one. But you should be able to get some tatty, but solid seats from a breakers on the cheap and swap the runners.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Jennings

What exactly is loose about them? The runners are secured to the floor with (6?) star-bit screws and the seats are inturn attached to the runners also with (4?) star bit screws. They may just need tighening (you can do it with an allen key if you dont have star bits).

I can't think of whate else would be loose with them? Unless the brackets themselves are broken, or the frame inside the bottom of the seat is cracked.

As for the handbrake.. that sounds a bit nasty, but I can't help there.

-- Ryan Gillett

Reply to
Ryan Gillett

Is the seat rocking, or is it moving back and forth? In case of rocking, it's very likely that the screws have come loose. Had the same problem, already was looking for new seats, but tightening the screws solved it totally. (Still looking for new seats, though, 'cause they are worn)

If the frame was cracked, you would have sidewards rocking-like motion of the seat. if the brackets were broken, I guess the seat would slide back and forth. It might as well be the mechanism that holds the seat in the back position (that mechanism that lets you fold the seat forward for the dog to enter the rear seat :-).

Does the car tend to one side when applying the handbrake? Then it might well be that one cable is broken. But if you actually can turn the brake-lever beyond the 90° point, then it also might be something around the lever is broken. I replaced brake cables on mine, and even without cables could not move the brake lever very much past 45° angle from the floor. Might be worth it to take the cover off the lever and have a tight look at it.

Well, good luck!

Norman

Reply to
Norman Anthes

inefficiency

Hi,

Thanks for the updates, i decided that i should pass the car to the garage to get the brakes sorted, and it turns out it was a cable... they have also sorted the seats out (don't know what that was though...)

Thanks again for the updates

Steve

Reply to
Roebear

Ahhh, I've got a peugeot 205, and i need a new fan for the air conditioner, also I need new seats or maybe another thing for the seats... cuz are getting broken... new lights to change 'em, and also new brakes, EVERYTHING NEWW... can someone tell me where the heck I can find than in the Internet, or maybe someone can sell me one or tell me where is it in thir country please, cuz i need them URGENTLY!! please forward me!!!!!!!

Reply to
peugfans

Hi there,

You can try