205 GTi Starter Motor Solenoid Problem

Hello,

The solenoid on the starter motor of my 205 GTi has developed a 'short' so the motor keeps running after the engine has started. The starter will only stop turing after the flylead has been disconnected. Is this likely to be repairable?

Normally I'd just buy a new one, but they are pretty expensive and the damn thing is only a few hundred miles old :-( I thought I could see if I fix it while it was off the car. Any ideas? It's a Valeo if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jowsey

If by flylead you mean the small wire, then surely if it stops when that is disconnected, then it must be getting a constant feed along that wire. Which means the fault is more than likely to be the ignition switch.

Reply to
Nigel

Nigel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yep, my mistake. The starter is OK. I was just getting confused by the conflicting results I was getting during fault finding. I've spent ages believing it to be the Tachyometric relay as some of the relays I have have had the wire to solenoid go permanently live after an attempt has been made to start the car. Other relays have initially shown this line to go back down to 0v after the key has returned to position 2 from position 3... Then they have shown the line to be permanently 12V again! None of the relays are faulty as they work fine in a 309 GTi. It's been a very frustrating weekend!

Now I believe the fault to be a wiring fault/sensor fault in the engine bay involving the sensors connected *to* the tachyometric relay. Disconnecting the water temperature sensor appears to restore normal operation. I'll put the ECU back in, reconnect the other sensors and see if the starter motor behaves properly.... I do hate wiring faults on a 16 year old wiring loom :-(

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jowsey