205 Junior Engine Swap

Hi Any Help

Im thinking of swaping the engine in my 205 1.8d junior with the 1.8td engine it should be a straight swap or am i wrong any help will be much appreciated

thanks Matthew

snipped-for-privacy@taylormatthew.plus.com

Reply to
Matthew Taylor

Hi,

You're half right, should be a straight swap (perhaps a mod on water & fuel pipes depending on year of the TD engine). However, keep in mind that 205TDs had GTi 1.6 drivetrains, to handle the power of the lump. Having 78HP on a std Diesel chassis & 155/70/13 tyres may be hard to drive, especially on the wet.

Regards, G.T ('93 Junior D) snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Reply to
Matthew Taylor

Do you need a new fuel tank? You may also have to run in a fuel return pipe from the pump to the fuel tank and doubtless some of the wiring in the engine bay will need to be doctored. It's also worth checking if you need to uprate the front discs and the front suspension legs as the diesel lump is likely to be a lot heavier. Almost certainly you will have to run new brake pipes from the vacuum pump as the existing ones that run from the servo are unlikely to fit. On the question of brakes, is the brake pedal connection different on a diesel to a petrol?

The lump will almost certainly drop straight in, although may ned different engine mountings, but there are quite a few other points to consider as above - another one springs to mind - are the radiators the same or interchangeable?

Reply to
Peter

He's going from an atmo diesel to a blown one.

Reply to
Phil Cook

I knew that - honest - I didn't mistake 1.8d for a petrol engine honest.

OK - I did, please disregard most/all of the bollox I wrote

Reply to
Peter