205 Performance Probs

Hope the collective can give me some pointer on this one.... just got a

205Gti 1.6 back on the road after been stood for a long while, and i've serviced all main items, oil/fuel/air filters, new Plugs, Dizzy & Arm, new clutch, new engine/gear-box oil.

The problem is poor performance, it almost feels like when you'd try to run a car when its not fully warmed-up and its not getting enough something to allow it to run smooth, and it sounds lumpy (almost like its blowing from the manifold, even though its not, that kind of rasmpy unhappy engine noise). not sure if relevant, but also takes about a dozen turns of the starter before it fires.

Any idea's appreciated, i'm guesingg its some sort of fuel mixture problem, but the spark plugs look nice and clean, i'm guessing maybe some theremostat problem, but again no idea where to start.

the odd thing was i stopped last night for some fuel and then set off down the A1 and it ran like i'd expect (pulled free and smooth), but come to it this morning and its just the same again (so bangs goes a theory on duff fuel).

any help would be great.

Thanks.

I had a very similar problem with my 205 1.1. I went through all the possible checks. Plugs, Coil, HT leads, Fuel etc etc. In the end I gave up and took it to the garage. They diagnosed it straight away as a blocked exhaust manifold. Sure enough when it was replaced the inside of the manifold was covered in rust and carbon deposits. Car ran perfectly after that.

Rich

Reply to
RooMonster

Never even thought about that, i'll take a peak this Sunday.

Thanks