205 rear wheel bearings

Hi,

My 1993 205 diesel has what I suspect is a collapsed rear wheel bearing (grinding noise, loads of play in wheel, wheel nuts all tight). I've not had a chance to take it to bits to check yet but I have had a look at the Haynes Book Of Lies and it suggests that the drum/hub/bearings are all one assembly and that you need special tools to change the bearings. I have a few questions though:

  1. Is this true that you need special tools to replace the bearings?

  1. If so, can you buy the drum/hub/bearing assembly complete new at a sensible price?

  2. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

yes the specil tool is a long bit of metal. which you tap out the bearing runner,try ringing a company called camberley autos.you can buy just the bearings..i got two for my 405 and they cost me£32.00 for each side, good luck from chris in Addlestone surrey

Reply to
Chris

If you need bearings I actually have 2 sat in my garage that I've been meaning to put on ebay for a while. You can also buy new drums for not much money - I think they were about £20 each when I bought some a couple of years a go.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Thanks for the reply Chris. Do you actually NEED the tool then or can you manage without? What parts other than the bearing do you need? I'm guessing you need a new nut to hold it all together with but do you also need any seals etc?

TIA, Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Update:

I've taken it to bits, it is the wheel bearing as suspected. From what I can tell looking at the mess the bearings come out of the outside of the drum after removing a circlip. Is this right?

Also the seal - all I can find of a seal is a rather pathetic looking bit of rubber around the stub axle after the drum is removed. Is this supposed to be attached to the back edge of the drum?

I'm starting to wonder if I might be better off going to a breakers and getting a pair of half decent complete drum/bearing assemblies instead of trying to replace the ones I have if the job is going to be a pain...

TIA, Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Yes remove the clip and tap the bearing out .you some times get new seals in the kit when you buy a new bearing..just take your time and it will be very easy job. from chris Addlestone surrey

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for the advice Chris. It's now done. The kit contained everything including the seal and a new nut and washer. I ended up drifting it out using a socket as a drift and some heat from a blowlamp, and getting the new bearing in using the old one as a drift. Just done 20ish miles in it and it seems to be sorted.

Thanks again, Paul.

Reply to
Paul Everett

So you are happy now.and you can give yourself a gold medal.and be a Mechanic.like me .it would be nice to have some one else. so happy motoring from chris Addlestone surey..

Reply to
Chris