205 TD servicing intervals

I only do 6,000 miles a year if that and all to and from work which is 7 miles each way, some of it queing in slow traffic. I know I should get a bike but, hey, I'm past all that strenuous exercise now !

According to the manual the oil + filter need changing every 6,000 or 12 months which is ok. I can cope with that. The fuel filter is 12,000 or 12 months and the air filter is 18,000 or 18 months. So the question is ... With a K reg 205 GRTD (1.7litre) that's done just 50,000 miles, should I keep to the monthly periods for changing filters? rather than waiting for the miles to accumulate. I want to keep the engine in as good condition as possible, but remembering to change the filters etc can be a bit hit and miss.

Also, apart from the timing, alternaltor and fuel pump belts, is there anything else that I should really keep an eye on, or just reley on the good ? old Haynes Manual for guidance. I don't think the valve clearances have been checked ever. I bought the car when it had < 25,000 miles on the clock and I haven't had them checked yet.

TIA

Reply to
Wolfy

Hi,

I use to change all filter every 2 oil changes (i.e 10,000km) - D '93 , my brother does the same (DTurbo '91).

Errr... No.

You can check valve clearance, but it could well be a waste of time... They're really unlike to move on XU/XUD engines (pad method). Have a closer look when you have a poor warm start.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi GT, thanks for the reply:

10,000km (6,200 miles) for 2 oil changes = 3,100 miles for each oil change ? I change oil and oil filter evry 6,000 miles.

Also when you say 'pad method' for the valve clearances, do you mean 'shims', like thick, round pieces of hardened steel ?

Regards Wolfy

Reply to
Wolfy

Probably the worst situation to subject an internal combustion engine. The amount of water being produced inside the crankcase will be considerable. I would expect the apparent oil level on the dipstick to be rising, and the exhaust back box to require replacement every year. Consider changing the oil every three thousand miles and give the motor a good run at least weekly. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

I don't think the valve clearances have

No need to bother with that engine. Hydraulic tappets and shims. My old Xanita with the same XUD unit has 160,000 miles up and they've never been adjusted. It's a job the average diy'er wouldn't appreciate either. I'd keep to the recommended service intervals for air, fuel and oil filters, and drive belts. Haynes recommends cambelt replacement at 30,000 miles for all engines although the book states 70,000 for yours (if my memory serves). DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Hydraulic tappets AND shims?? Interesting concept!

Reply to
Nigel

Hi,

Yes.

Oh, and I use 15W40 mineral oil. Here's my servicing plan : 3000 miles (3100=+/-5000km of course talking with metrics on this side of the Channel :-) ), oil change, 10,000km : oil change + all filters (fuel-, air-, oil filters). My brother has the same servicing plan, excepted he uses 10W50 semi-synthetic oil (usually Esso Ultron (?) 7000).

Yes. Sorry, but my technical english sometimes shows its limits :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

You know, those barrel shaped things with metal diiscs on top that live under lobes of the camshaft. To adjust the valve clearances you can actually change the discs for thinner or fatter ones. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

What's hydraulic about them?

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Dunno, but they're floating on oil. Maybe I should have called them cam followers, or any of the other descriptive names. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

The good old Rover V8 is the same. The followers are hydraulic but (if you're doing the job properly) you still need to use shims under the rocker pedestals to get the pre load right when you're building the engine.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Hi,

Of course, they need lubrification :-)

Better, IMO, because not ambiguous (spelling ?).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Its done 50K, reg in 1993 and on its original exhaust !!

Reply to
Wolfy