[205] TU3S Headgasket - :-(

Hi All,

While changing the plugs and leads at the weekend, I noticed small blobs of oil in the expansion tank (never a good sign) - I had the headgasket done about 18 months ago but don't know if they did a proper flush of the system to remove oil from then. What other symptoms should I check to decide if it's gone again? The oil filler cap looks fine to me and there's no overheating.

It is driving rough at the moment (better since I changed plugs/leads and leaned off the mixture after seeing the state of the plugs) - it's fine if I give it plenty of power but coughs and misfires under gentle acceleration (especially when cold) - improves a little when warm but doesn't go away. Find I have to use the choke more.

Admittedly I've now racked up 135,600 miles on original engine

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone has a good TU3S (85bhp model) and facilities to fit it for not much money (!!!!!) then it would be greatly appreciated! (Warrington, Cheshire Area - UK) Haha!

Regards, Matt

Reply to
Matt

acceleration

Check to see if you're burning any oil or coolant (indicated by white smoke out the exhaust/low coolant level respectively). Possibly a pressure test would also show up a problem if one of the cylinders has low compression (which may also account for the rough running) although that won't neccesarily implicate the head gasket.

half-arsed job to get any noticeable amount of oil in the coolant system. Did whoever changed the gasket get the head skimmed or at least checked for warping at the same time? If not you may have a warped head which would weaken the seal and it wouldnt last very long. Hope this gives you somewhere to start.

Cheers Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

Hi Matt

A compression test would be a good idea to start with. that'll give you a good ide if something is wrong. When i had my XS it had done ~120k miles and a piston ring went. In the end i put in a new engine that cost me £70 off ebay.

It could just be you carb thats causng problems. I really despise those solex things, they're a pig to get right. But perhaps a quick cleanout with some carb cleaner might help (always used to with mine). Also check the dizzy and rotor arm if you havent already

Good luck!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hi Andy,

Yep, it was skimmed - I'm watching the levels at the moment to see what's going on.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hi Carl,

My carb is due for a clean-up - I've got a rebuild kit for it, I just need time to do it - I'm just going to keep an eye on the levels first to make sure it's not all screwed before spending time on the carb rebuild and still have a buggered head-gasket.

I have been looking for an engine but none have turned up yet - there is the idea of a 205 TU 1.6 engine but that's probably beyond me! (then again, I'd still have my work cut out doing a straight like-for-like swap too!)

One of the RG guys registered on my site has done the 206 swap - makes for a nice car too!

Cheers! Matt

Reply to
Matt

Probably a good idea!

Which swap is that? I've always fancied the idea of 106 XSi bits making there way into the car (1.4 TU with MPi), but when you then consider that it still wont be as quick as a standard GTi it seems a little pointless. A 106 GTi engine would be fun though and i know its been done before.

See my other post for my little project!

acceleration

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hi Carl

He's put a 206 1.6i engine in there - said it was a simple swap and works great! Also got 309 rear beam and discs too.

:-)

Matt

Definitely gone - the contents of the expansion tank could now be better described as "oil with a touch of water" and the level has halved in a week!

Reply to
Matt