205 XLD fuel filter light

Now I've had this car about a week and blown all the soot out of the engine from a lifetime of central london driving, I'm certainly impressed with how it drives (if not with its ultra-cheap interior...its just like an engine with wheels), its fuel consumption is unbelievable to me at over 70mpg on the motorway, being used to

30-40 on the XS.

BUT...the damn "water in the fuel filter" light on the dash wont go out. I can categorically say there is no water in the filter cos ive drained it til it was empty of everything. I've also taken the water sensor out and given it a clean, which has made no difference. Is there something else which makes it come on? Or is it just a duff sensor. The filter is probably due a change, but I cant see why that would make the light come on.

TIA

-- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

On 405 it was a duff sensor, about £60 from Peugeot. I spose you could just disconnect it ...

Cheers .

Reply to
Wichita

same problem on my 405.peugeot wanted £70 for sensor, two from breakers (fell into my pocket will return them some day)same problem.so now just live with the light coming on and off.

Reply to
wolves

Common annoyance. I asked a Citroen mechanic about it and he said they just disconnect the cable to the warning lamp if the customer keeps complaining. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Out of interest, how many times have you seen water in the fuel filter? So far on my wife's 106 1.5D never in two years and never on any of my diesel Citroens.

Reply to
Malc

Fair enough, I thought as much. Cheers guys.

-- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

I have seen this problem countless times with various Peugeot diesels, but never found water yet.

Reply to
Brian

I had a 205 XLD and the fuel filter light came on after the first year. I disconnected it and ran the car for another 16 years. And I never drained or replaced the filter!

I now have another 205 XLD - a "new" one, only 9 years old and guess what ? The fuel filter light has just come on.

TC

Reply to
trevorjcuk