205GTI Engine Mgmt Light

Hi All,

Am looking at buying a 205 GTi 1.6 locally to me. Has new MOT, but the Engine Management Light is permanently ON. Owner says it has been for a few weeks with no apparent problems.

Can anyone advise what would be the likely cause of this light coming / staying on, please ?

Ta.

Myles, Exeter

Reply to
Myles Sutherland

Why did you say he was flogging it?

Reply to
13 Amp plug

"but the

Don't you just thank god that these people are not flying aircraft around the skies. I wonder if an engine management light (warning light) came on at 30,000 feet if they would ignore it and then carry on flying about for a month or more. If I were you I would like to get it plugged in and see why the management light is on. I would also wonder that if the owner is ignoring the management light then what else has he ignored, like changing oil at regular times etc . Apart from that , best of luck with it, I had a 1985 1.6 205 GTI many moons ago. What a great car it was. Wish I still had it tucked away in the garage.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Says his wife is about to have a baby and they need a bigger car.

Sounded a bit iffy to me that the light was on - maybe one to ignore ???

Reply to
Myles Sutherland

Gary is right. The management light is telling the driver that the computer has discovered a fault and the fault message is waiting to be read by someone who has the appropriate equipment. Don't touch the car with a bargepole unless the message is read and is something you (or the seller) are prepared to have remedied.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I have a 306GLX (1999) and the Engine Management light come on there, well, kept flickering on and off. Turns out it was an electrical fault and the engine's loom needed replacing. Can't remember how much that part was now because I had to have all sorts done to pass its MOT...

Reply to
ThomasJPitts

Like the plague!

Reply to
13 Amp plug

Do they still burst into flames where the fuel pump falls to bits?

Reply to
13 Amp plug

Replacing the loom for a dodgy connection? The garage is outright incompetent.

Reply to
13 Amp plug