206 GLX 1.6 problems from new

My fiance bought one of these brand new in April.

We are going back to the dealers [again] tomorrow, to reinforce our views on a few points. I have listed our gripes below, and would be interested to know of anyone else's views on these cars.

- paintwork had numerous glitches where it looks like dust is between layers of paint.

- when idling, the car vibrates at a fairly low frequency. It rumbles through your backside, and to be honest, makes both of us feel sick. It's a little like the feeling of being really nervous, and feeling like waves of anxiety go through your lower half - hence the term "ing yourself".

- when slowing down to go over a speed ramp, and then bringing the clutch back up in second gear, the gearstick shudders, and the car really does struggle. I don't often do it, but it refuses to allow the clutch to be slipped easily in second gear.

- when taking your foot off from being lightly depressed onto the accelerator in fourth gear, the car lurches forwards. I can understand this in first, second or maybe third gear, but surely the drive should be smoother in fourth.

I realise that some of these faults are probably "characteristics" of the car, like the dealer has said - but surely not all of them. I could have accepted that the tiny pedal space was a characteristic, causing an issue for big-footed people.

When I got back into my Focus, after driving hers, it felt like the smoothest car on the planet.

Reply to
Duble

Dont get fobbed off by the dealer. He'll say anything to get out of it - car dealers are just as dishonest as they used to be, just a bit smarter. These arent characteristics of the 206 - mine didnt do those things, although it was utterly crap in its own unique and shocking ways. Changed it for a Ford Fiesta zetec, a million billion times better just a bit dull to look at, dont know what the new ones like - how about a Lupo? Cut your losses, sell it and get a proper car, second hand if needs be. If its bad now imagine how crap itll be in a few years.

Reply to
Daniel G