206 Radio question

Just went to swap daughter's radio in her 03 206. Expected to find 3 connectors similar to my '01' 306 BUT there are only 2? I was looking for power, speakers and stick control. I've got an autolead to get the stick working again for the SONY head unit she wants but how do I connect it all back up? Mine was simple as it had the 3 connectors!

TIA

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Don't know the question to that one but you will have to take it to the dealers (I think) to get the computers to recognise the radio. The 01 I had was not multiplexed but the 03 definately is, which means less wires so this could be why there is one connector less

HTH

Reply to
Terrytubby

That's what I suspected but I hoped not! Looks like the stick won't work at all then?

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Len Cuff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The stalk control on the 03 206 is transmitted down the car's bus in the bottom connector along with the power to the radio. You can get a converter for a Sony radio from several places. Try

as they sell Peugeot adaptors for most of the range.

Reply to
PaulC

No web site at that URL, got any others?

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Working fine here though does redirect to

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Got the link working, browser probs I think!

OK so what's the score with having to get PUG to do some wizardry with the on board computers? Phoned 2 main dealers today to get it sorted and neither had a clue what I was talking about. Both said just bung the new radio in and away you go as did an independent ICE firm!!

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

It may be one of these urban myths then. The only link I could find at the moment (not had much time to look) is

(Watchfor word wrapping on the URL)If you can't view this I'll post it here, but if you can it may be worthwhile doing a search on this forum to see if anyone else has heard it Sorry if its not true what I said but I am sure others have been told and charged for this :-(

Reply to
Terrytubby

news:bobk8v$ab2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.worldonline.be news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com

I thought I had seen something, but could only remember the bad points, but others have said different. Still no clearer is it :-(

Reply to
Terrytubby

Len Cuff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, each piece of equipment in the car should be registered with the onboard computer, and if you just remove the equipment without telling it, then it'll log faults.

If you put in a display driver/stalk adaptor in one of these cars where the stalk is using the button power connector, then you don't need to reprogram the car as the display driver/stalk adaptor will pretend to be the original radio. However, without an adaptor, you should really have the car reprogrammed to say there is no longer an original Peugeot radio there anymore to stop fault codes appearing.

Reply to
PaulC

Ok the story so far! Bit the bullet last night ans swapped the radio. SONY head unit works fine. Although it may be sending fault codes, I can't get either of the local PUG dealers to do anything as they still maintain that they haven't got a clue what I am talking about!! So where does that leave me??

I am going to get a connects2 interface for her in the near future so the stalk and display come back to life again!

One small annoyance and I really can't figure this one! When you have the radio on and switch off the ignition, the radio stays on (?) but if you leave it for a couple of minutes after closing the door, it turns itself off! Also noticed that it turns itself back on when you open the door! Very strange !

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Len, got same set up as yours, with connects2 unit, works great! as for the power... the 206 have no "conventional" Accessories power at the back of the radio unit... the blue one you are using is the only one, which allow the unit to be turn on manualy even if the key is out, but turn off automatically at key off (you might recall, the original unit allow this). It will turn itself off after 2 minutes idle for power saving. Unfortunately other head unit dont have this communications to BSU hence turn itself on everytime car is out of the idle stage and off after 2 minutes. The connect2 adapter will solve this for sony headunit (ie work just like OEM one). if you dont have the connects2 adapter you can use the cigarette lighter for power instead of the blue wire, thats will acts like normal Acc on. I would wait for the adapter though coz getting to the cigarette wires is quite a difficult job on the 206.

-cheers

Reply to
voxDEI

PS: about the dealer program BSU to recognise the unit- Dont really need to do this, If the car dont come with a radio/cd unit as standard no info/power will output at those wires hence need it to be turn on, yours does so no problem there. Only thing i know a few people do is ask techs to turn it off because they puting in new unit (and not use the display + stalk) and cause problem/malfuntions to the display.

Unfortunately

Reply to
voxDEI

Many thanks for clearing that up. Connects2 unit ordered.

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Len Cuff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That would be because you have the car's network positive supply connected to the radio's ignition feed, so as soon as the car's network wakes up (eg. by you opening the door) the radio thinks the ignition is on, so wakes up also. There's no proper ignition cable in the radio wiring, but you can take it from elsewhere, like from the cigarette lighter socket. The connects2 box makes it a lot more integrated though, and will turn the sony off on the igntion without having to find or cut any wires.

Reply to
PaulC

THanks for all the info on this one, I have ordered a connects2 unit and it should be here tomorrow. Problem should then be solved.

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Thats my post on the website! I think I am going to fit the MP3 player anyway. I contacted Peugeot by going to their UK website and asking the question in the 'Contact Us' section. I am pretty sure the Connects2 adapter teh mp3 player comes with will be effective in dealing with any compatability issues. (Here's hoping!!)

PB

Pete

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Peter Brown