306 1.4 Differential

I've got a noise coming from the front of my M reg 306 1.4, a bit like a ratchet clicking against a big turning cog (although my daughter described it like a big cat purring!). It only happens on decelleration, with or without brakes, and is only audible at lower speeds.

I took it to a local garage and, after a testdrive, they declared that it was probably the differential in the gearbox (£400-£800!). Later I took it out for a drive and noticed that the noise was still audible when I depressed the clutch. Do differentials still turn with the clutch depressed?

Does the differential theory hold water. The MOT sheet from a couple of months ago said some gaters were on their way out, could this be related?

Of course I'm concerned that I'm going to get ripped off here!

Many thanks in advance for any help I get.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete

Diffs work when the wheels are rolling, whether the Clutch is engaged or not!!

Suggest you get it double-checked with another garage!!

HTH

Regards, John

Reply to
John J. Burness

have you priced up an exchange box? to compare on the repair price

Reply to
Mindwipe

the differential will turn when the wheels are turning, however its only the crown wheel that will turn in a straight line, the differential will "work" when turning a corner which is whats its designed to do, however enough of the science lesson, personally i havent come across a worn one yet, unless youve been running without gearbox oil.

the most common fault on these peugeots is the driveshafts (actually the constant velocity joints at the end of the driveshafts) but since they are not removable on these the whole driveshaft must be replaced.

drive the car on full lock about 5 to 10 miles per hour (in an open space of course) and you should hear the "knock" when you slightly sccelerate. do this on both locks to determine which side is at fault, (if the noise is present on right hand lock then replace the near side shaft, and visa versa) they dont hold water, they hold grease, and there is a rubber driveshaft gaitor at the ends of both shafts holding this grease in place, if it splits or tears, as they often do, the grease will be lost and incresed wear on these already notorious joints will occur. any garage worth its salt should check these FIRST, they are extremely common on many many french vehicles, peugeot, renault, and certain citroens.. unlike gearbox wear which is a rarer occurance.

hope this helps...........

Reply to
steve