306 1.4LX Starter motor turning but engine won't fire

I've got a 1997 306 1.4LX engine (P reg, MKII), and been having problems with it for a while. This afternoon I went to start the car, and the car turns over, i.e there's plenty of power in the battery, but for some reason the engine just won't fire. I've tried taking all the HT leads off both the distributor and the spark plugs themselves, sprayed them with WD40, and I've disconnected the battery and left it for half hour or so to reset it. It's got to a point where the battery's dead as a doornail now so I've taken it out of the car to put on charge overnight. I was given a suggestion by a fellow Peugeot 306 owner who said to try them, plus a couple of other things, including spraying Bradex Easystart into the engine past the air filter to get it firing. The only thing that confuses me is I can't seem to place the air filter. I've had a read through the Haynes manual, it seems the layout of my engine is the same layout as the pictures it has of a 1.6 engine. Anyway, it's not something I quite fancy doing spraying highly flammable stuff into my car. Is there anything anyone else can think of that might get this resolved? A slight history might help figure this out: Every now and again (usually from cold), when the car's started, it'll idle around 1100rpm (drops to 900 ish eventually), but when you actually go to move the car, after about 200 yards, the revs will suddenly drop to around

3-400 (maybe less) and sometimes stall, as though it's run out of fuel. This happened about a month ago driving up the M6 when all of a sudden it decided to cut out on me and it acted like it ran out of fuel. Pulled over on the hard shoulder and tried to start the car again, it'd turn, but wouldn't fire. Now this says to me that the fuel pump isn't working, or something to do with the ECU. Various sensors have been tested throughout the car with no fault found, seeing as the car actually works fine when it's at the garage. What would be the best course of action to resolve this? All help muchly appreciated. Dan
Reply to
Dan

first of all check you have got a spark going threw leads and then the plugs.check you have fuel going to intake and try starting with out air fillter if it has not been replaced in a long time it may be blocked all so the idle control motor may have got stuck or failed spraying Easystart into the engine may get it going if it's not any of the above but useing to much can damage your engine so would have to say cure the fult and dont just bypass it

Reply to
blackknight