306 2.0 HDi MPG

I posted this to uk.rec.cars.misc (but they started arguing), then I realised there is a peugeot group so I'll post it here also!

I'm thinking of getting a Peugeot 306 2.0 HDi and was wondering what kind of MPG I could hope for considering that I'm currently getting

35-40 MPG out of a Rover 200 1.6. The daily drive is 64 miles (round trip) with about 48 of that on 60 mph / 50 mph A roads, the rest is towns.

I don't drive hard (only occasionally when necessary to overtake). Could I expect

50-55 MPG or is this asking too much?

Thanks, Rich.

Reply to
Kav

Bank on it being more like 40-45MPG from my experience of Peugeots 2.0HDi engine in my 307. My car is a bit heavier than yours and at constant motorway speeds it averages 40-43, keeping up with the traffic and it drops quite a bit to nearer 38-40. To give you an idea of how I drive; my daily commute is 20 miles, in my 2.0 16v Laguna RTi I used to average 35mpg, in the 307 on the same journey I have never bettered 42mpg!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

A bit? It's over 100 kg heavier. But more importantly it also has all sorts of emission control stuff.

That's way low... Keeping our thirsty petrol Accord at 70 all day yields 37 to the gallon.

Ditto that as being way low too.

Hmm. Well low...

Reply to
DervMan

Going on your current machine and the 306, yeah, should be about right. Keeping the tyre pressures at "maximum load" pressure helps too...

Reply to
DervMan

And now can you guess why I'm selling it after it's next service and MOT in two weeks?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Seconded. I tend to get just about 50mpg from my 306 2.0 HDi, and thats the Estate with the roof rails. The hatchback should do slightly better still.

Derv - If I inflate my tyre pressure as you suggest for extra efficiency, am I sacrificing anything else?

Cheers, Tom.

Reply to
Tom Hawley

Roadholding and comfort. Also possibly unusual tyre wear but since tyres tend to wear on their outer shoulders more than the centre of the tread a little over-inflation could be a good thing.

Reply to
Phil Cook

Tom Hawley expressed precisely :

Sounds about right: I get about 55mpg (306 HDi 5dr).

Or about 57-58mpg if I drive like a grandad.

-- sA

Reply to
southpawArcher

Because it's French? :-p

Reply to
DervMan

Ride quality for the most part, but as a caveat some tyres work better at a higher pressure. Possibly handling and emergency stopping distances - it pays to experiment. Some cars and (importantly) tyres are more vulnerable to compromises than others. Our Ka on Firestones was very slippery with the pressures at maximum - very low rolling resistance with an inability to stop in a hurry. :) On Falkens the handling wasn't much different but we did squeeze better consumption from the kid.

So far with this one (waves at petrol Accord) I can't tell any difference to grip or braking, but now she records 39 to the gallon on my comute rather than 37. Still undecided because it will be warming up...

Reply to
DervMan

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:44:02 GMT, the accused (DervMan) stated:

Thanks, I'm sold then, 306 here I come. I've always liked em but needed an excuse!

Reply to
Kav

Non!... c'est Francais... c'est merde!!

Chris :-D

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Had one 12 years, did not regret it. (non-turbo)

If only they still made then, with a few inches more leg room.

Reply to
Peter Chant

In article , Chris Dugan writes

It a Toyota sports car?