306 2.0l XSI 8v 1996 P Reg - Ignition problems

Anybody got any ideas on this one?

I have a really annoying intermittant fault, where I turn the ignition on (not trying to start the engine) and all warning lights on the dash flicker with an annoying clicking sound coming from the passenger side rear of the engine bay (opened her up, appears to be a relay next to large hose). When the car is in this state and try to turn the engine over, I get one click from the starter then nothing. I've previously had a fault (which went away) where the starter would appear to stick, again this only happened a few times.

I've taken the car to the garage and they claim that its not the correct battery for the car (thinking why is it only presenting problems now - and still intermittent, if this is the case)?

Also, sometimes when driving - the oil pressure guage will plummet when accelerating then starts moving erratically from 0 to 8 bar!?

A couple of days before the ignition problems started occurring again, I had changed the engine oil and filter - along with a new set of plugs. Silly oversight but managed to close the bonnet while still having the oil filler cap off (noticed smell of burning oil 40 miles down the road then sorted). there wasn't much oil loss, but I topped up to MAX anyway and thought that'd be the end of it. Is it possible that any engine damage may have been caused due to lack of pressure in the rocker cover?

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
TartanHaggis1314

"TartanHaggis1314" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Check the connections of the battery. E.g. the mass connections to the chassis.

Reply to
B52