306 Air Con, saga continues

After a discussion on urcm recently, I decided to book my 306 TD in to have the known leaky front air con pipe replaced. They checked the system, no other leaks, and they fitted the new pipe and a replacement drier as well. No problems, apart from the bill. So I hop in the car and have a lovely

2 mile drive before it all goes warm, and then hot. Bugger.

No leaks anywhere, except some clear liquid around the new front pipe, no drips onto the ground at all. After a couple more miles the compressor stops cutting in, so presumably I have a leak somewhere. It's booked in again on Thursday afternoon, and when I spoke to them they said they do put dye in all re-gasses, so not really sure what the clear liquid is around the pipe, it was a little more viscous than water.

So, where could the refrigerant go? I also had a kind of gas noise from the dash as it was getting warm, googling leads me to believe this is just part of the system running out of refrigerant.

Baffled, hope this isn't a major failure like a compressor :-(

Reply to
mike. buckley

The compressor is more than likely fine, looks like the new pipe they fitted hasn't been done properly. There are rubber washers each end of the pipe, one at the compressor end and where the pipe continues. Both of these should be new when refitting. I know from my experience that the washer at the compressor end certainly doesn't come supplied with the pipe and must be bought separately. They've either not replaced that or damaged one or the other of these seals.

Your refrigerant won't leak out - it's a gas. The leakage will normally come from the oil used to lubricate the compressor. I had a garage refil my A/C. they also assured me they used dye. When mine leaked I didn't see it either.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Usually the dye can only be seen by ultra violet light.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Yeah sorry, bad description on my part. When it leaked before I had a few pools of green dye oil on the drive, but this time it's dry, and apart from a bit around the new pipe it's dry in the engine bay too.

I hope it is the pipe, as it means I won't have to shell out again.

Reply to
mike. buckley

Yes, and no- it can be seen on the skin as a yellowish tint, which wont wash out- rather like getting iodine on your skin.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Bugger - again.

One new condenser and a recommendation to replace the other pipe. Booked in for next Friday, but it's a 4 hour job as the bumper etc etc has to come off for the condenser change.

Well it'd better bloody work after that....

Reply to
mike. buckley

Sorry, hit the wrong button last time.

I can't see how there is anything wrong with your compressor when it was working fine before the gas escaped. How did they evaluate your compressor needed changing?

Remember, this is the garage that didn't even fix it properly in the first place. Do you trust their analysis?

Reply to
daddyfreddy

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Did anybody mention a compressor?

Reply to
mike. buckley

Sorry, condenser. That's what happens when you spend too much time in front of a computer, you end up going word blind!

Reply to
daddyfreddy

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

To be fair the leak is bloody hard to spot (right behind the fan) and would only have ended up in the same puddle as the bigger leak from the pipe I knew about. They didn't charge me for the second diagnostic, so really it's just a bit of inconvenience, car is booked in for next Friday when I'm not at work anyway, so no big deal, apart from the bill. arrgh.

Reply to
mike. buckley

Have they suggested what it might cost? I ask because the symptoms sound similar to my wife's 306.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

In message , Keith Willcocks writes

Total will be over 500 with the two visits.

Condenser - 100 quid plus 4 hours to fit (all and sundry from front of car has to be removed) First pipe (already replaced) 75 quid plus an hour to fit Second pipe (to be done with condenser) 45 quid

Plus one diagnostic test and two re-gas, and the dreaded VAT.

Hourly rate is 47 quid inc, which is about par for the course in Brum centre.

Reply to
mike. buckley

Have read your "story" with great interest. I have a similar problem with my 306. Leaks sometimes some fluid (water I suppose) under and on passenger seats mat when hot weather and long drive. Can't find the leak. Have been to service for this three times. Is ok for a while and then it comes back again.

Did your last trip to the service cure all problems?

Rgds Lars

Reply to
Lars

Your aircon drain hole is blocked. Dunno where it is on the 306, but aircon systems have a drain to let out the condensation. Yours is blocked, so instead of escaping onto the road, it's escaping into your footwell.

That's assuming it really is just water. If it's got coolant in, then your heater matrix is shafted. Good luck :)

Reply to
Nom

I think I saw an earlier thread where water on the passenger mat was traced to the heater matrix (or its 'O' rings).

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Thanks for the price. I think I will buy her one of those little dash mounted fans instead ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks