306 Caution ! Warning Light

Hi

My Exhaust Silencer fell off the car the last Sunday, and the pipe that connects this to the next box up also needed to be replaced. The day that it happened the Red Warning Light (!) would come on when i wasn't giving the car any revs (i.e. round a corner). The next day the light would come on whenever I took my foot off the accelerator. The day after it just started coming on pretty much all the time, say 95% of the time. I had the exhaust replaced that day and thought the problem would be gone but its not improved at all - in fact its probably on 98% of the time.

Anyone got any ideas whats causing this?

The car is driving beautifully, although I have noticed it has used more fuel this week than I would have expected for the miles.

Thanks PJ

Reply to
theopj

hi you havent said what type of engine or fuel so will give a .....possable ...you say the Exhaust Silencer fell off ..well in doing so it may have damaged the lambda sensor or worked wire lose(the lambda sensor is very delicate and will not work if dropped or knocked) if any of the sensors get damaged the ecu enters its back up mode and will ignore the damaged sensor signal and assumes a per-programmed value to allow the engine to continue working..and the warning light will come on and the fault code will be stored in the ecu.......it may even be one off the other sensors messing up (would acount for the using more fuel )if you hook up the car to a comp will tell you what sensor as gone wrong as guessing and getting it wrong can be welllllllllllll expensive

Reply to
blackknight

forgot to say not sure what is linked to that warning light as well so dont forget to check you levels ..ie brake fluid /water ect if you haven allready

Reply to
blackknight

Its a Diesel Turbo (97-99 Model).

Its just really stange the way it came on a bit and would go off if you accelerated, although now the light stay on even when you do (maybe this is why more fuel has been used as I 've been heavier on the gas). I'm getting the garage to have a look next week anyhow. I would be surprised if it wasn't connected to the exhaust problem - its quite possible that something may have got damaged/knocked as the silcencer was bouncing along down the motorway for a while as it was still attached by a rubber thing.

.....possable

Reply to
theopj

Probably silly, but it isn't by any chance the handbrake light, which would indicate that the handbrake was slightly on and binding, which would also result in an increase in fuel consumption.

Reply to
Buccaneer

Don't do what I did, strip down the handbrake to check the handbrake switch when the light kept going on and off. Further checking of the manual and I find out it's a dual warning light for the brake fluid level. D'oh! (Split front brake hose). Previous car had a separate warning light. D'oh!

Reply to
mike. buckley

Well took it to the garage - it was the brakes - the levels were getting low, so they checked them all over and there wasn't any leaks so that good at least. Then they tried to stiff me with over £200 with the old "new discs and pads" needed - which they well be right about but I'm not gonna them done at a Peugeot garage..... ATS quoted £110 - will see what my local backstreet garage quotes me when I arrange my next service.

Cheers for the replies.

Reply to
theopj

pug dealer discs are expensive but generally better than the cheapo ones you can get at the DIY places. There £65 last time i checked plus £30 for the pads. It's the labour that's the other £100.

Reply to
SimonDS