306 diesel ...how do you get the pipe ends of the heater matrix

The M reg 306 my grandson has bought has had the heater matrix bypassed .=2E.. they just cut through the two pipes and put a bit of linking tube in as the bypass (which came apart due to it being tapered and the Jubilee clip not being tight enough .... result engine seizure and a =A3300 bill). The garage that did the engine repair say the reason the bypass has been done is almost certainly due to the matrix being knackered. They quoted =A3150 to do the job .... but would rather not do it if you see what I mean (ref all the talk on here of how daunting the job is .... having to remove the dashboard and all). However, having priced the parts up ....=A347 + VAT for the twin 'special' water pipes ; =A344 + vat for the matrix (tho' that is the price to the punter in the street .... garage would get them for a third of that ....???) .=2E... the =A3150 doesn't seem so bad after all. Trouble is it was supposed to be 'a little gem of a car for the price' .... =A3350 at auction ! ...Now at 350 + 300 + 150 .... not quite the bargain it was.

My query ..... when they cut thro' the pipes, they left the 'quick fit' plastic tube ends still attached to the matrix on the bulk head .=2E. they are gripping the matrix tube ends very tightly and seem immovable ....HOW DO YOU GET THEM OFF !? why can't they just stick to Jubilee clips or circlips ... yes I know .=2E. too simple that !!!!

thanks in advance alec

Reply to
alecalgo
£150? bargin. it's a full days job.

My query ..... when they cut thro' the pipes, they left the 'quick fit' plastic tube ends still attached to the matrix on the bulk head ... they are gripping the matrix tube ends very tightly and seem immovable ....HOW DO YOU GET THEM OFF !? why can't they just stick to Jubilee clips or circlips ... yes I know ... too simple that !!!!

thanks in advance alec

Reply to
SimonDS

We use that system as it is very quick to do, also the pipes are very close , and have you ever tryed to get a screwdriver down there to do up the clips, and when they turn round what a pain, so that is why we fit those quick fit white clips. hope this has helped you . from Chris Addlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris