306 diesel turbo ignition stuck on & solenoid stuck open

i have a 306 xrdt, when i reconnect the battery it's as if the ignition is stuck in the on position the orange pre-heat light for the glowplugs doesn't come on but the car will start the red STOP! & little oil light thing are on, when i start the car they both go off, when i stop the car they come back on i can turn the key off & remove but engine is still running, i found the lever for cutting the engine out i read the below post from feb this year, the bit about the 12V feed from the car not going off with the ignition seems to be the problem that i have how do i check & fix this?

< HI

I have a '93 Rover 418 TDI that has the Peugeot sourced XUD-9A Diesel engine fitted.

Yesterday the car wouldnt shut off despite taking the key out. I now stall to stop. I figure it is the fuel pump solenoid being stuck open and not closing off.

Do I hav to get this replaced or can I somehow take it out and repair or use WD-40 to free it?

Any further advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers Staylong UK

reply:

If you look at the back of the pump, just above the 4 fuel outlet pipes, you'll see the solenoid. It has the crimp terminal fastened to the top with a small nut. It can be a pig to get at and need some of the bracketry removing. Once off, it's a very simple device. The plunger itself is in the diesel so wd40 is a waste of time. Before you remove it, check that the 12V feed from the car is going off with the ignition. You don't want to waste a lot of time with the plunger if it's not the problem.

yeha

Reply to
afro_eddy

check the cooling fan connector (ns of the rad) it usually melts into one lump if so just cut it off and solder the wires together one at a time(you may need to remove the bumper for this)

Reply to
Mindwipe

cheers - was the plug & socket i had smashed the front end & the fan seemed ok & so did the wiring opened up the plug & a couple of the connecters were bent & stuck together all sorted now tho :) switches off when i turn the key & take it out!

Reply to
afro_eddy