306 Driveshaft noise

Intermitent and coming from the nearside. A lot worse on decelleration with and without the clutch down, with and without the brakes in any gear. Does it after

40 miles or so and eases under acceleration/high speeds (85). On inspection, it looks like the driveshaft oil seal has gone, a small amount of oil is splashed on the surrounding parts. Gears are still smooth.

Is there supposed to be a small gap (3-4mm) between the inner boot (or a cylindrical solid part linked to it on the gearbox side) and the gearbox housing? I can just see the shiny driveshaft through it and it doesn't look right. Im hoping its not Diff trouble. I'm leaning towards putting a new driveshaft in but suggestions appreciated please.

Thanks Phil

Reply to
Flip

Could it be the differential? It's located on the nearside drive shaft, is a little larger than a baked bean can, basically the fatter bit of the driver shaft at the gear box end. . If this is knackered it could potentially generate alot of noise at speed. Any noise / problems turning sharp corners at any speed?

cheers, Ian

Reply to
ian

I've just re-read your message, sounds like we're talking about the same area, and a worn / damaged diff could generate heat and begin to seize after 40 miles or so.

I'm guessing though.

Reply to
ian