306 Dturbo (1995) Rear Shocks

Guy's

Just recently I took the old car to the garage for a service. They said it looks as if the rear shocks have gone due to what they called "feathering" of the inside of the tyre. I though I could do this myself and changed these out without any problems. Now, would you believe that when I go over a bump, say a speed bump I can hear a wrenching sound of rubber on metal. If I loosen up quite drastically the nut on the trailing arm the noise goes away. Hmmm what's up?

The only thing I can think of is that they are the wrong type because I overheard the woman at the parts place say, "yeah, they are the same as a GTI" ?

I will obviously take them back if one of you guys can confirm otherwise.

P.S a day later the heater matrix packed in, took a day off work to replace. Started at 7am finished at 3pm :-(

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Sims

"Adrian Sims1" wrote: > Guy's > > Just recently I took the old car to the garage for a service. > They said it > looks as if the rear shocks have gone due to what they called > "feathering" > of the inside of the tyre. I though I could do this myself and > changed these > out without any problems. Now, would you believe that when I > go over a bump, > say a speed bump I can hear a wrenching sound of rubber on > metal. If I > loosen up quite drastically the nut on the trailing arm the > noise goes away. > Hmmm what's up? > > The only thing I can think of is that they are the wrong type > because I > overheard the woman at the parts place say, "yeah, they are > the same as a > GTI" ? > > I will obviously take them back if one of you guys can confirm > otherwise. > > P.S a day later the heater matrix packed in, took a day off > work to replace. > Started at 7am finished at 3pm :-( > > Thanks > Adrian

I replaced the rear beam on my 205 a while back and got the same thing, I think. I know they?re not the same setup but they?re similar.

I got a beam off a GTi which had Koni yellows on. I removed these cos they?re too hard for all the town driving I do and I fitted standard

205D shocks.

The trailing arms/torsion bars then started to groan and creak which got less the more I drove and has now almost stopped. I figured that the Konis (or dead shocks in your case) had stopped the arms and torsion bars from moving properly and let everything seize up and the noise was them loosening up again.

I could be completely wrong though and my beam could be about to fall off :)

Reply to
Streltsky

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >
Streltsky

Thanks for the info.

Just been told that the lower suspension arm bushes have gone too! (p bush?)

A pain to fit?

Cheers Ad

Reply to
Adrian Sims