306 dturbo gearboxes

Hi,

After investigating a noisy gearbox on a 1994 L plate 306 dturbo we have concluded its a noisy box and needs replacing.

Does anyone know if a box off a 1994 306 TD is the same, im wondering if the standard models box is as strong and if the ratios are the same?

cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave George

Are you asking if a box on a '94 306 diesel turbo is the same as one from a '94 306 turbo diesel? Both engines are the same, whether they put the D in front of, or after the turbo bit. Unless you can see any obvious difference, as in one is four speed, the other five, then they will be the same.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Dave George

But you are comparing two petrol engines of very different power, both diesel models have exactly the same engine, with the same power. The gearbox ratios are made to suit the engine power, not the letters on the back of the car.

Reply to
Brian

It doesn't matter if the ratios are different - the only effect this will have is that you'll have to change gear at *slightly* different times :) As long as it physically fits, then all is well.

Reply to
Nom

That's not actually correct - plenty of cars come with different gear ratios in "sports" guise, whether or not they share the engine with other models.

It's not really relevent to a gearbox swap though, unless the owner *needs* them to stay the same (he'll never even notice the slight change...)

Reply to
Nom

Thanks Nom, personally feel it would matter especially more if we were talking about a serious performance car, howver on something like the 306 your right its not enough difference to notice.

Thanks for confirming my original thoughts though.

Reply to
Dave George

OK brian i did not realise that they both shared the same power etc, hence the original question. Nom has confirmed that models do indeed have slightly different ratios at times though which was all i was asking.

Reply to
Dave George

The bit which would make a difference would be the overall ratio on the differential. However, on a Peugeot turbo diesel, the overall ratio would be the same for all similar engines. The box for the non-turbo diesel WILL be very much lower geared overall. I have had both vehicles and found out empirically.

Reply to
Brian