306 DTurbo heating system

Hi all, I'm sure there must be plenty of people who have experienced similar problems with their cars, but I need a little help with my 1995 DTurbo heater and cooling system.....

Over the past couple of weeks the heaters have stopped working and only cold air is pumped through. There is no A/C fitted in my car. Normally this would mean there's no water in the heater matrix, but I have checked this and water is pumping through the matrix when the radiator hose (top one) is squeezed and the bleed valve is undone.

The engine never seems to get hot and rarely reaches 90 on the gauge - mostly sits about 70 - but the fans are coming on a lot, and are coming on super fast - I don't recall ever hearing the uberfan kick in which is what it is doing now. Also, when the engine is hot after a drive, you can lay your hand directly on the radiator which is stone cold.

However, I had to do a long run the other day, and I noticed the engine starting to get hot when I slowed down after motorway speed and the air coming through the heater was on (rare) ocassions very hot before going back to cold.

I think a blockage may be to blame, but why do I get ocassional hot air?

Can anyone help!!??

Cheers!

Reply to
alex prior via CarKB.com

Your thermostat is almost certainly stuck open. They cost almost nothing - replace it first, and then if you still have issues, you can worry about blockages etc.

Reply to
Nom

I agree. Renew the stat, then check the heater hoses are getting hot--both of them. If there is still a problem, suspect a partially blocked radiator.

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks for your help guys with this problem, I'll try to swap the thermostat at the weekend and see how it goes......

Cheers! Al.

Reply to
alex prior via CarKB.com