306 exhaust omissins for MOT (any additives available)

Hi, my 306XL-1.4 single injection petrol has failed the omissions test at the MOT. thats all it failed on :-((, anyway, I did an oil change/oil filter change, spark plugs and air-filter change and took it for a half hour run. the reading on the MOT machine was 47.5, and the guy said it must be under

  1. (Thing is the engine was cold, it had been standing at the test station all day). Do you think my *service* will be sufficient to bring it down? or is there an additive I can add to my fuel to fetch it down to the 30 that is required. cheers Jrk
Reply to
Jeff

mindwipe

Thought I would just let you know that after I did the simple service (oil/oil filter/air filter/ plugs) it flew the emissions test. Just in case any one else has a similar problem Jfk

Reply to
Jeff

forget additives, the readings you have, albeit very vuage, indicate a poorly working catalyst, or catalytic converter, sometimes these cats will work if allowed to become very hot, so you could try re-testing your vehicle after giving it a good run for half an hour, although if the tester did his / her (you never know) job properly he/she should have allowed the catalyst to reach temperature before conducting the test, besides catalysts nowadays are so cheap you may as well replace it, it wont cost you more than £100, including fitting if you find a good honest garage, (not original equipment obviously)

0.47% isnt excessive ( i assume thats what your reading should have said) and would expect that kind of figgure from the exhause prior to entering the catalyst. good luck, steve

Reply to
steve