306 HDI 90 Engine metalic rattle / noise 2000 - 3000rpm

Can anybody help please?

The car is a Pug 306 HDI 90 Estate, it has done 96,000 miles. the noise has only started for the last 10,000 so what ever it is it is not going away, nor is it killing the engine.

The noise only happens under load and between 2000 and 3000 revs, otherwise it is fine. mpg is normal, performance is the same I think, possible slight reduction. To describe the noise is not easy! it sounds like a metalic grinding noise. very loud, mainly from the drivers side. When the car is either stationary or in nuteral all is fine.

I've had the bottom pulley, water pump, aux belt and cam belt changed, still no joy. Also had the exhaust checked but thats fine. I keep thinking gearbox, but could it be anything else?

help!

Reply to
Theadam

It is coming from the engine? could be alterator noise. drivshaft bearing?have u got a cover under the bonnet byside the bottom pulley, as if u was driving the wind would send the cover over to the pully and rub,?worth checking it.

Reply to
Chris

Thanks, I'll check that tonight. It is odd though as it only occurs when I put my foot to the floor and between 2k and 3k revs.

The problem I have though is that I cant see the engine as I can only replicate the problem when the car is moving. Oddly if I put the handbrake on and try to drive, forcing the engine under load, the noise doenst occur... so you may be on to something!

Will post up tomorrow.

Thanks

Reply to
Theadam

O.k thanks for reading it,

Reply to
Chris

Hi,

couldnt see anything that would be fowling the bottom pulley last night. Also, just to add some more info, it only happens in first and second gear.

Reply to
Theadam

Have u looked at the wheel bearings, each side? what u need to do is get it up in the air with the wheels off the ground and start the engine up and let it run in gear while you are under it trying to find the problem, as i think that is the only way you are going to find out what it is.i know its a pain in the arse(sorry)..

Reply to
Chris

Sounds a good way to commit suicide to me. Could be a drive shaft too, or even a gearbox fault.

Reply to
Brian

Not if it is done the correct way will be safe as houses up on stands. also if you know what you are doing!!

Reply to
Chris

Chris, you know how to do it safely, but never assume the other person does.

Reply to
Brian

They only have to ask. and we all on this site try and help.

Reply to
Chris