306 m1.9td head gasket replacement

My friend has a Peugeot 306 1.9TD (1995 M) which is pressurising the coolant and blowing form the header tank, as far as I can see this can only mean that the head gasket has blown through to one of the coolant channels. The coolant also pressurises from cold. There is no water in the oil. I have replaced Ford petrol head gaskets before and Land Rover diesel+petrol gaskets, is there anything I should know about doing the job on a 306? How much is it likely to cost me in parts? I imagine the head should be skimmed before refitting (or is there a reasonable chance it wont have warped? Vehicle has not been driven since the coolant boiled over) Worst cas scenario would be a cracked head or block, how likely is this? What parts will i neeed to complete the head gasket swap apart from the obvious head gasket?

Many thanks, Fergus Kendall

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

its not too bad, rear exhaust manifold can be akward to get to unless you go underneath and disconnect the manifold joint from the downpipe, then remove the head with the manifold attached....it looks worse than it is... you will need a head gasket set.and new head bolts (i think from memory they are stretch bolts in these,) dont put it back together without having the head re-surfaced, it should only cost around £30 - £40 from a good machine shop, shouldnt have any problems with cracks etc, its an alloy head so more likely to be just slightly warped. just remember the machine shop may well charge you for removing to camshaft etc in order to close all the valves..they cant machine it with them open so save yourself a few quid and do this yourself. dont forget to fit a new cambelt, dont take a chance with the old one..once it has been disturbed always fit a new one. good luck.

Reply to
steve