306 new clutch and car vibrating

Ive just had a new clutch put in my car cos the old one was knacked and now the speedo dont work. This I can put down to a sender unit not responding and so I can change that!

However, I notice now that my car vibrates a lot more than it did, typically if i touch the throttle so that the revs are just slightly over 1000 revs. What could this be cos I am concerned that the clutch isnt in right? I never felt this vibrating before and the sort of distances I do in a week it sort of concerns me the damage this is going to do!

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Reply to
scott

firstly the speedo is cable driven, up until ???? year, so the cable probably isnt in correctly, bit too much of a coincidence that it stopped working right after they ripped the gearbox out. secondly, if its vibrating then something isnt right, take it back and get them to check it. the clutch should be in right, its self centring, meaning the first time it gets used it automatically locates in the centre, however if it wasnt centralised then they might have had trouble putting the gearbox back in. steve.

Reply to
anon

Speedo not working could just be the sender unit hasn't been plugged back in or at worst damaged or broken during the clutch install.

Vibration is possibly from engine or gearbox mountings that have been damaged during the clutch install i.e. by leting the full weight of the engine hang on one mounting or possibly just a mounting that hasn't been tigthened properly. I'd start by checking that all the engine and gearbox mountings are good and tight. Check the rubbers for any visual damage although this is not always easy or obvious.

I think it's standard practise to only fully tighten the mounting bolts once the full weight of the engine and box has been put back on them i.e. in the fully settled position.

The exhaust is also another potential source for vibrations.

Reply to
RyanO

Thanx for your help people. I went back and it seems that it could just be the engine mountings. I will have to check them again when I get a chance. Its just the vents in the 306 are a little loose and vibrate and its hard to stop them cos wherever you locate them they vibrate. A loud stereo helps remedy that though!

I checked the speedo sender and sprayed the terminals with WD40 as this sometimes remedies problems. Its a complete git to get to but a long screwdriver helped. No change after doing all of that so Im thinking its a stuffed sender. Will have to change it (well I wont, but the garage will!) as I live in Northampton (speed camera central) and so I have to guess the speed Im doing from the revs and the gear im in (and of course keep right up behind the car in front).

Thanks again

Scott

Reply to
scott