306 off side drive shaft removal

How do you get this out? I have got the outer CV away from the swivel axle and then undone the 2 bolts that you have to turn through 90 degrees, BUT there appears to be a shouder on the inner part of the drive shaft which stops it moving outwards. When I pull on the outer part of the drive shaft, the inner CV joint just gives. I am trying to change the clutch but can not even get to lowering the gearbox!

Reply to
harvestmouse

Is it the same set up as a 405 ? it has bearing half way up shaft inside a houseing.which can rust in and be a sod to get out so i think u will have to pull and look at it more to see what is holding it in .# chris addlestone surrey

Reply to
Chrs

I don't know if it is the same as the 405, but it is half way up the shaft inside the lower engine mounting. I guess it has rusted in, but how do you get it out? I have tried a steel bar on the flange and hitting it with a 4lb hammer.

Reply to
harvestmouse

spray it with lots of wd40 and tap it one way then the other way it will come out in the end DONT HIT IT TOO HARD AS THE CASEING IS ONLY ALI.

Reply to
Chrs

Heat the casing up carefully with a small blowlamp. Ally expands more than steel. The heat will also break the rust up.

Reply to
Brian