306 rear subframe mount refitting............

has anybody replaced their subframe mounts DIY style? is it an easy job? some instructions would be really appreciated....

thanks

Reply to
SOLO-1973

i am assuming your reffering to the small square ones, one on either side, these are the ones that ussually break, and luckily for you replacement isnt a difficult job. they are held in place by 2 nuts, one on top which is undone in the boot/luggage area, and the other underneath clearly visible. simply jack the car up leaving the wheels to hang free, remove the 4 bolts (if replacing both sides,) and pull the suspension frames downwards and remove the bushes. steve. oxford.

Reply to
someone

WHEW!!glad to know it's an easy job, thanks someone. another question, in your opinion, would poly replacements be too rigid for everyday use? I presently have a poly rear engine mount (306 1.8 petrol)installed and I am satisfied with the feel, but will poly rear mounts be too rediculous?

Reply to
SOLO-1973

Hmmm ... I've seen it done on a 405. You drop the entire rear suspension, almost as a unit. It's pretty heavy and you need two people and a stand. But someone will be along in a minute with better info. I guess I'd say it was do-able IF everything went right. If not (seized bolts) it might be different. But why do you want to replace them ... I understood the mounts, and the shocks, normally were ok ... tis the bearings in the suspension arms that wear and seize.

Reply to
Wichita

Hmmm ... looking at what somone wrote, it's clear 306s are different from 405s (no interior bolts in 405s) so scrap my earlier/.

Reply to
Wichita

your right, similar to the 205 and 305 the torsion bar suspension bearings wear in which case its a different and nightmare job altogether.

Reply to
someone