306 Remote Key

When I bought my car it only came with the standard key. So I bought a remote key off ebay, hopeing I could program it myself using these

instructions. So far no luck, the car is a Peugeot 306 L, 1.4, 1998, R Registered. The key I got off ebay does not have a little LED light on it, so I can't tell if its workin gor not, but I have put in a brand new battery. Inside the key it has a "transponder ?", a small rectangular piece of plastic with lots of numbers on it near the key end of the fob. Have I got the wrong key off ebay, or should this one work ok ? I guess also the infra red part in the car could be faulty.. Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Ian

It sounds like you well have bought a wireless key off ebay and not an=20 infra-red one.I got ripped off by an ebay trader who described his key as= =20 suitable for the 405 which only ever had the infra-red version. Any=20 attempts at getting my money back were futile and now he has disappeared=20 off ebay. He said I should have checked the picture which was no excuse -= =20 side on these key fobs look identical.

Check your key - it should have a clear LED at the key end of the fob. If= =20 it hasn't you have a wireless one. My local Pug dealer has boxes of these= =20 wireless ones but no infra red ones. A new replacement infra-red one costs= =20 around =C2=A390 from a main dealer and they are harder to find on ebay. The= =20 wireless ones are there regularly but have to be programmed by a dealer via= =20 a lap-top which is normally chargeable.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Jim , you are dead right, just checked the auction and it says RF, grr I can't believe I was so stupid to miss that. I will re sell it on Ebay and try and get the IR version. Thanks for your help !

Reply to
Ian

Try

Alec

Reply to
Alec

At least the ebay advert you bid on described it as a radio key. It doesn't make you feel any better though!

Make sure you advertise it properly yourself on ebay :-)

To be honest I think I would prefer to buy the RF version new from the dealer - they have to programme it anyway and at least you would have a warranty.

Good luck in getting an IR one. Mines still works but eats up batteries for fun.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

No good because sadly he has purchased an RF key and needs to be re- programmed by dealership via computer.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

My car is a 1999 306 and the key is RF (Peugeot).

There is no IR window at all on the key (I have checked inside when I changed the battery)

The procedure at

worked fine for me after the key lost it's code when the battery died. Perhaps they have changed how the RF keys work.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

"> My car is a 1999 306 and the key is RF (Peugeot).

Look in the car at the area by the interior light. Is there a black bubble there? This is the receiver for the IR. If you don't have one, then the system is RF. Bear in mind that there are two different IR keys, one button and two button.

Reply to
Brian

Presumably the RF remote system was installed on the revamped 306 in

1999 - the models with colour coded bumpers throughout the range?
Reply to
daddyfreddy

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Correct.

The infra-red system was a complete joke anyway!

-- sA

Reply to
southpawArcher