306 shudders when braking!

My m reg 306 has just come back from mot (not sure yet what it had done) - but when it came back the rear of the car shudders, the brake pedal shudders and so does the steering wheel when you apply a fair bit of brake. I tried pulling the handbrake up a bit when driving and this also does the same thing? Another symptom of it is - when i have parked the car up for a while with the hand brake on, the rear wheels seem locked on when i come to move the car, they then just kind of click and free them selves when i reverse. Any help would be great! i am far from being a mechanic.

Reply to
peter007

"peter007" wrote: > My m reg 306 has just come back from mot (not sure yet what it > had done) - but when it came back the rear of the car > shudders, the brake pedal shudders and so does the steering > wheel when you apply a fair bit of brake. I tried pulling the > handbrake up a bit when driving and this also does the same > thing? Another symptom of it is - when i have parked the car > up for a while with the hand brake on, the rear wheels seem > locked on when i come to move the car, they then just kind of > click and free them selves when i reverse. Any help would be > great! i am far from being a mechanic.

Funnily enough, i have the same problem on my `95 306 Dturbo, i get the judder under light braking 40mph + , got the car up on the ramp at work with the handbrake lever pulled up a few clicks, turned the wheel and felt strong and light spots in the stopping power. So i thought maybe drums distorted? Put Brembo drums on and changed the bearings to be safe, they needed changing either way due to lipped + corroded edges,improved problem a little bit but is still there, i know its from the rear because you can drive along and lift the handbrake slightly and it feels like your rolling on an egg from the rear. I have yet to further investigate, anybody got any ideas what to look out for? to be honest i think it could only be offset stub axles? Let me know how you get on

Reply to
trollgeddon

It sounds like one of your rear brake shoe lining has broken away from the shoe and is jammed between the drum and the shoe. This usually happens when you have a leaking brake cylinder (a common fault with the

306 of that era). Did your car pass it's MOT ok? It sounds like it should have failed on braking efficiency. I also had similar symptoms with my 306 with a failing handbrake cable causing the rear nearside shoe to bind to the drum.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

"" wrote: > In article > , > snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com says... > > My m reg 306 has just come back from mot (not sure yet what > it had > > done) - but when it came back the rear of the car shudders, > the brake > > pedal shudders and so does the steering wheel when you apply > a fair > > bit of brake. I tried pulling the handbrake up a bit when > driving and > > this also does the same thing? Another symptom of it is - > when i have > > parked the car up for a while with the hand brake on, the > rear wheels > > seem locked on when i come to move the car, they then just > kind of > > click and free them selves when i reverse. Any help would be > great! i > > am far from being a mechanic. > > It sounds like one of your rear brake shoe lining has broken > away from > the shoe and is jammed between the drum and the shoe. This > usually > happens when you have a leaking brake cylinder (a common fault > with the > 306 of that era). Did your car pass it's MOT ok? It sounds > like it > should have failed on braking efficiency. I also had similar > symptoms > with my 306 with a failing handbrake cable causing the rear > nearside > shoe to bind to the drum. > > Jim

Yep checked all the linings myself whilst i changed drums, serviced them all and are working nice and freely and are balanced freely.

Reply to
trollgeddon

Then I will step back and let more experienced 306 owners offer their opinion :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason