306 speedo out

i wonder if there is anyone who has a 306 with higher readin speedometer mine is an Nreg 96 diesel with electronic pickup to the clock, the clock shows 43mph but i'm only doing 30 mph and if i travel an 11 mile jurney the clock shows 15 miles, ihave 175 75R 13 tyres i dont think the gearbox has been swaped but i cant be shure i have had the tape measure round the tyres and it shows 5ft

10.5inch or 70 and a half inch , i measured a 14 inch tyre that was i65 65R 14 and found it to show the exact same circumference as my 13 tyre can anyone tell me if the 185 65 R 14 tyre is more than 70 and a half inch round, or offer any reasons for the speedo being fast,,,,,, the speedo is operating in a smooth way and i would think it is ok itself,

thanks for your time brian,,,

Reply to
brian rhodes

I have a 2000 1.4 306 Premium Break and the speedo went crazy 18 months ago. I can't really tell you the name of the parts that were replaced 'cause I'm not sure about the translation but it had something to do with a power surge burning something which made the speed sensor (?) on the wheels to have bad readings. Then, this unexplained power surge also disturbed something else on the way to the speed indicator on the dashboard and the speedo would always turn back itself to 0 km after running a max. of 30km (sometimes more and sometimes less). The total mileage display was ok, the problem was only with the partial mileage display. Local Peugeot mercenaries billed me for a 750 euro repair after replacing everything between the wheel speed sensor (or whatever its called) and the dashboard. This was the only incident I had so far with a very nice car bought brand new with full extras. I hope this helps.

Jean-Jacques Pardete

"brian rhodes" escreveu na mensagem news:ciidct$sb4$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
Jean-Jacques Pardete

Checking a tyre is compatible just requires some basic arithmetic. To check the diameter do the following calculations

wall size of tyre is 185mm X aspect ratio 65% X 2 = 240.2mm size of wheel is 14" that is 14" X 25.4 to get metric = 355.6mm

total width 595.8mm or 595.8/25.4= 23.46"

Width of tyre for 175/75/13 = 23.33"

Not enough to make the slightest difference

Measuring the circumference with a tape measure is just as valid.

Reply to
sid