306 Starting Problems

I have a 1994 turbo diesel 306 which is getting harder and harder to start when cold. It turns over a number of times before it will actually start running, then once the engine has started, it judders and idles erratically for 10-15 seconds. after that it runs with no problem at all.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause this, and whether it would be fairly easy to sort out?

thanks in advance, Matt

Reply to
Matthew Dony

Almost certainly one or more of your glow-plugs have died. The car will start slightly reluctantly with 1 plug gone, and will take some cranking with 2 gone. With 3 or more it will become almost impossible to start on cold days.

Plugs are normally about £5-6 each, but get a decent make (e.g. Bosch). Especially avoid halfords own - they have a poor reputation. Some people reccomend that you replace all 4 plugs at the same time, but that's up to you.

All the best, Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Andrew

Have the same problem with a 406, best advice I was given was after the indicator has gone out, switch off and on again. Sometimes I need to repeat this 3 or 4 times.

Maybe I'm just too lazy to buy new plugs

David McCallum

Reply to
David McCallum

glow plugs. Buy good ones from Puegeot NOT HALFORDS. It's a simple procedure but awkward. Remove the intercooler first then take out the plugs which are difficult to get at because of the fuel filter. Cost is about £30.

Simon

erratically

Reply to
SimonDS

erratically

Reply to
Kevin Davis

I tried a few makes, but found spending £65 in Peugeot for a set has lasted me 4 years so far.

Neil

Reply to
Neil D

the ends can break off on knackered glow plugs and then they usually end up inside the cylinder,especially 406

Reply to
Mindwipe

erratically

Reply to