306 strong vibrations and brake discs

I have a Peugeot Diesel 306 XTDT , production august 1998.

During a standard maintenance in march 2002 my brake discs were replaced by new ones at 72000 km.

Some 3000 km later I started to feel strong vibrations on the roadway when braking normally from 100km/h to 80km/h.

After every repair on my demand the vibrations did disappear for some 3000 km, but came back later. The last time they did repair it good, but no mentioning of replacement of the discs.

They replaced something else. They did show me the part : it is a small axe. It is composed of two small round pieces, the one over the other with a rubber joint between them. On this part the wheel and brakes are mounted ( i think ). The rubber joint is for the driving comfort (?). Normally on other older models of Peugeot it was one piece of metal. The rubber they said was becoming "old".

Total cost of several repairements, wheel aligments, discs polish (?),

750 Eur, not included four new tires in this price.

Now a month ago I heard that Peugeot has/had quality problems with the production of original Peugeot brake discs for two models : the Peugeot 306 and another model. It causes strong vibrations when braking on highways.

Can someone confirm this ? Why all my problems started after the installation of new brake discs ?

Jef

Reply to
Jef Charlier

replaced by

roadway when

replacement of

discs ?

I have a 1995 306 XTdt and I had the same problem back in January

2001. The full story is at
but here's the basic story:

Wasn't having any problem with the brakes but was told by the dealer the discs needed replacing. Finally let them do it. Then after a little while started getting a vibration when braking. Took it back - they replaced the discs again - ok for a while and then judder returned. Didn't get anywhere with the dealer and in the end gave up whilst on the 3rd set of discs. Over time the vibration seemed to disappear by itself and right now I think I'm judder-free. It's now over 40,000 miles since the discs were last changed.

I wasn't happy with the Peugeot service though and never went back. I have also heard from other people who have had similar problems.

I think the last time they put new disc on they told me they had given the hub flange a really good clean. This I think is what the disc is connected to and maybe this is what they changed on your car.

I haven't heard anything about Peugeot admitting a fault with braking on 306's but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a common problem. But as I've said, I'm quite happy with my 306's braking right now and so I'd be reluctant to let them touch it again.

Stuart

Stuart Dalby

Not sure what the problem is but I have exactly the same thing on my '99 1.8 GLX. I was thinking of posting a question on here but wasn't sure how to describe it! It's going in for it's 80K service in the next month so I would also be interested to hear of any other experiences of this.

Nick

Reply to
Nick(UK)

I visited the yahoo news groups and other links suggested by Stuart : Radox Peugeot 306 web resources

Judder I heard on the newsgroups that sometimes the hub flange is just 'dirty' and if not cleaned properly can cause a new set of disc to warp very quickly. I wonder if that's what happened with me. Peugeot fitted the first 2 sets of discs without cleaning the hubs properly first. I think on the 3rd time of changing the discs they gave the hubs a really good clean and hence the problem disappeared

My breaks are fine since a senior technician did clean up my brakes extremely well, and did repolish my discs. I could see the gold paint ( don't know what it is ) he used.

Jef

Reply to
Jef Charlier

Hi Jef

I can confirm that brakes are a problem on the 306 (SRDT , HDi v.1). Especially with the wear. A method perhaps capable of preventing your problem from occurring in the future:

After braking hard (e.g. for redlight stops) remove the pressure on the brakes immediately after full stop to optimize brake disc cooling. When they get very hot they tend to bend a little with your result as a consequence.

If you stop on a sloped road - use the hand brake. The rear brakes are less loaded compared to front brakes during deceleration.

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

Thanks,

And I understand what you mean. Overheated discs can happen on cars with high power and only ~normal~ breaks. And does it happen more in countries like UK, Denmark, Belgium ? Overheated discs and driving in water ? I had this twice on my first Peugeot, a 104 ZS in 1985, what a car is was !!

But in my case the discs have been 1 x renewed at least , 2 x polished, and everytime the same brake rudder after 3000 km. In this newsgroup I have found that new discs requires good cleaning of the whole brake mechanism on the 306.

Best Regards Jef

like my Peugeot 306 of 1998

130mil km, zero engine problems
Reply to
Jef Charlier

Hmm - I'm not that old ;) But it appears in my Peugeot history book!

Strange that it reappears with that kind of frequency. Well - some with brake problems here in Denmark have successfully been solved with a change to brembo parts. If it is possible with a 306 - I don't know.

I experienced your problem with a '00 306 HDi - but never more than it could be tolerated. Though, it used a lot of brakes :)

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

i had this too with pug discs. changed to tarox from larkspeed (same price, vented and grooved £80) and 6 months on have no problems with vibration

simon

Reply to
SimonDS

Amazing that Peugeot cannot make brakes themselves :)

Anyway - good to know that the problem can actually be solved...

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

Hello,

They already make shock absorbers :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Out of concrete for the 807 :-(

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R. N. Robinson

I know... I've enjoyed it several times on the secondary roads around my parents home :)

Best regards EjS

Reply to
EjS

"EjS" schreef in bericht news:3fdb7386$0$17627$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp05.dk.telia.net...

I have also a Peugeot 306 (break) XTDT, the breakes and discs are replaced during last service, some 2 months ago. Until now I did drive some 15.000 km but no problem with breaking on high speed. Perhaps they have mounted new type of breakes and dics?. I usually break, by pushing the pedal 2 times for a short time and releasing it immediately and then shift back the gears. This way the breakes stay cool and polished. And they lifetime is much longer.

Best regards Sohail (Rotterdam, the netherlands)

Reply to
VTR16V