306: What's the Twin Lens sensor on windscreen for, please?

I've just picked up an S Reg 306 LX TD Estate (Feb 99), and it didn't come with a handbook! What does the little twin-lens sensor on the windscreen do (high up on glass in front of the rear view mirror)? The windscreen is 'blacked out' all around it up to the top edge so it is obviously factory-fitted. I think it might be for something like 'rain sensing' windscreen wipers - if so, how do you activate them? I've tried various combinations of the wash-wipe switch, but apart from the standard intermittent sweep can find nothing else.

It may well be that the sytem is broken or the sensor might be for something completely different, however!

I'd be grateful for any advise - TIA.

BTW - does anyone have a spare 306 handbook they migh wish to sell?

Kind Regards Malc

Reply to
Digiteer

From what i know the rain sensitive wipers work on the intermittent setting, around there anyway. You might pick up a hand book or haynes manual on ebay cheap.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The sensor is tied up with the rain sensor as you say. The device is turned off once you turn the ignition off.

Once you re-start the car turn the wipers off and up one notch. When it rains it will wipe as required.

For protection snow etc the device must be re-set every time you start the car.

hope that helps

Tony R

Reply to
anthony redshaw