306 XT Engine Transplant

Im looking at getting a 2L engine from a 406 or 406 SRI and putting it into my 306. I have been told they will fit straight in (and so will a 3L V6 out of a coupe!). Has anyone done this before and what other things will I have to do? Clearly the brain will have to be changed and I am hoping that the front suspension will hold out for a little while till I get some better stuff put on. Its just my 1.6 engine is just not pokey enuff at just over 100bhp.

In addition to this, does anyone know any good places (and cheap) where I can get an engine from? I would ideally like a 406 SRI engine cos its the 2 litre turbo engine. From what I can see the SRI doesnt appear to be that fast even with the turbo so Im thinking that by putting it in my car it should make my nice little car even nicer. Im also fed up with the tapping noise from the camshaft...it drives me insane! The 1.6 is a nicely aspirated engine BUT a 2 litre turbo is an even more nicely aspirated engine. Would sound nice too with a dump valve!!! (yes im under 30)

scott

Reply to
scott

The 2.0 Turbo from the 406 only makes 150bhp, you'd be better with a 306 GTi engine or an Mi16 transplant as they'tre more powerful. However, the 406 engine has good potential, Ecosse do a 200bhp upgrade kit...

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Hello,

Its low power (148HP is not a 2.0T engine power) would be due to its turbo, mainly here to bring more torque at low revs, acccording to what I've heard. Of course, I'd try to get a 306 GTi or 405Mi16 engine, it would be less painful to put in and to set up.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Yea, it wasn't built as a sports car, it was a comfortable 150bhp cruiser that met the emissions regs :)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

so are you saying that a 405 MI16 would fit into my car cos I was under the impression it wouldnt fit. Ive been told 406 2 Litre engines fit straight in! I just want something bigger than the crap thing ive got in it at the moment, plus it hasnt got the grunt that i want it to have. Not that i want it to be silly fast but I would like it to be a bit quicker on the uptake!

scott

Reply to
scott

Hello,

Of course it will ! 306s GTi (or S16, I don't know for export type, as here we just have the GTI-6, called S16), so 2.0 16v 155HP are just 306s with Mk2 Mi16 engines. I don't know if the TU-2-XU conversion is easy. My better guess (although this transplant is legal in UK) would be to sold the car and to get a GTi, or any one else, more powerful (1.8 8v, 2.0 8v).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

My better

yes but that wouldnt be any fun would it! Plus my insurance would go up quite a bit, which doesnt concern me too much, but everyone knows what a GTI looks like. However, if you pull up next to an XT with XT alloys and it just happens to have a GTI or powerful engine in it you wouldnt have a clue would u. Plus, I have strange noises coming from my engine which my uncle will be able to tell me about when i go to see him in Glasgow in a few weeks! Sounds quite bad!

scott

Reply to
scott

Hello,

True. So you also want to make a surprise to other people, something like "try to follow me", true ?

Well, could be valve tappets. Common on TUs.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

If it gets there! :-)))

Reply to
SimonDS

I wanna surprise those BMW drivers. The "its only a peugeot, its gonna be slow" ideology which follows with all BMW drivers. Just i want my pug to be just a tad faster, and cos its lighter it should whip them into submission.

The noises my car is making are engine noises, not tappets cos i have checked those and there is nothing i can do about them. A common prob with pugs i hear.

oh and one last thought...if you are at traffic lights and you are winding the car up next to you and that car suddenly revs his engine up and you hear a ptssss noise then you just know you aint gonna win! And if you know that peugeot dont make 306s with turbos then you are gonna wonder even more...just a thought!!

scott

Reply to
scott

My DTurbo has got a turbo. Don't diesels count? :-)

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Well I'm working on it but I think the head gasket will go before mine gets to 150bhp. :-)

I know what you mean though. VW and friends have diesels from 90 to 150bhp in similar sized cars and even Ford have the 115bhp TDCi. The manufacturers seem a little slow in realising that there is a market for sporty diesels. Although some of the diesel Peugeots look sporty, they don't really have the guts to back it up. The new BMW 320Cd and 330Cd look rather tasty though.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

my d'turbo has 125bhp ;-))

Reply to
SimonDS

Hello,

You're joking, sure !

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Sounds like fun.

What have you done to it and has it given you any head gasket problems?

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Hello,

You're wrong, that ain't jealousy :-) Ok, I've only got 60HP, but I'm sure they'll last forever... I just can't imagine a reliable DTurbo (guessing it's a 306, so the 1.9) @125BHP (~126.7HP), as it's a lot more than DTurbo's factory settings (92HP).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I've heard of the 1.9 making over 140bhp with a high lift cam, 20psi boost and two stage intercooler. I've also heard that 125bhp is possible by just cranking up the fueling and increasing boost to 1.5bar (abaout 22psi). I'm not sure how long the head gasket would last though.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

yuk, thats a bit meagre, thats a pop-2-shops car. I couldnt cope with

60hp but then im 27 and always want more power. Maybe when i get a bit older I may wish to slow down a bit.

Its not how fast you go, its how quickly you get there! If you are only allowed to do 70mph then lets get there really quickly.

Phun!

scott

Reply to
scott

Hello Scott,

Mmmm, that's one of its purposes :-)

Hey, what d'you think ? I'm 22, driving this car since I'm 18, I sometimes get my parents' 405 SRi or 206 HDi, yeah that's different. But I enjoy driving my 205. That's a basic car (that's a Junior D, BTW), so YOU drive, not the assistance &/or electronics.

As I'm alone most of times it's far enough for me :-( Keep in mind it's a light car (880kg), so the 1769cc 60HP Diesel is enough to cruise. Sure, if I was a motorway runner, I would have took a turbo-D.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

Both of these cars must rock, but they wouldn't last : what about driveshaft / gearbox / clutch stress ? I don't mention injectors, turbocharger or pistons... With such high powers, the head (& / or gasket) isn't the only one thing to act like a fuse :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T