307 HDI hankbrake problem

I am wondering if this is a known issue or if anyone has seen or heard of the problem before. If you have please can you post a reply.

I have recently returned a Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi to the dealer after the hand brake failed twice within a month. The first time the car rolled down a hill into a post after the hand brake released without warning. When I got to the car the hand-brake was still on and the leaver was on

3 or 4 ratchet settings which was the maximum setting. When I pulled the hand brake up again the hand-brake then travelled some 10 plus more ratchet setting so that the leaver was pointing almost to the ceiling of the car before the brakes would hold the car.

The dealer took the brakes off the car and upon replacement claimed there was no fault. When I next parked the car the same thing happened again. Once again the dealer took the brakes off the car and claim there was no fault.

I have have been told by one mechanic that this is a known issue which Peugeot's and that Peugeot themselves are not admitting liability even though lots of dealers are reporting this problem. I have also been told that Peugeot now sell a hand brake kit which is part of a 60,000 service.

Any comments on the matter will be very helpful.

thanks

Stevie D.

Reply to
stevie_d

A few years ago Watchdog (BBC TV) covered a similar problem with Citroen Xantias. Apparently the handbrake operated on the rear brake disks. If the disks were hot when the handbrake was applied it would slacken as the disks cooled and contracted. There were a number of incidents of cars rolling down hills. I had assumed that this was why my 406 had a separate small drum brake on each rear wheel for the handbrake in addition to the disk for normal braking. I am not familiar with the 307 but it seems a strange coincidence.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Why don't you leave the car in gear when you park!?

Reply to
Matthew

My 53 reg 307 estate has done this once - there was nothing for it to bump into though -since then i also leave the car in gear- Fords have the same problem on there latest shape Mondeo`s and Fords official answer to this problem is to depress the foot brake hard and hold before you put the hand brake on - this in effect lets you obtain an extra couple of clicks - if i was you though i would leave the car in gear as well - better safe than sorry !

. >I am wondering if this is a known issue or if anyone has seen or heard

Reply to
Me

Probably because that is a bad habit.

-- R

I have never left my car in gear. On those occasions where I have feared it rolling away I have turned the wheels to the appropriate lock so that it would roll into the kerb.

Reply to
Phil Cook

In a car park?

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Where the hand brake works on drums I might agree with you, but for disc brakes, especially if they are hot when the hand brake is applied, it is desirable otherwise contraction of the disc as it cools will let the brake off.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:de7hp7$m9b$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

It's never ever done it to me, or any of the vehicles in our fleet (50 vehicles). It's a bad habit!

-- R

Has your fleet ever contained a car whose handbrake worked on the front discs?

By the way, why is it a bad habit? Surely you always check whether a car is in gear before you start it, don't you?

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Huh ?

You should always leave your car in gear when you park, to prevent precisely the problems we're discussing !

Reply to
Nom

You've never had a crappy handbrake, or had one sieze-on or anything similar ? In a fleet of 50 cars ?

It's an excellent habit.

Reply to
Nom

You should always leave your car in gear.

Er, why not just leave it in gear instead ???

Reply to
Nom

Right.

If everybody put their car in gear when they parked it, my friends daughter would probably have lived to more than 3 years of age. :(

Reply to
Hendrik Skarpeid

"Nom" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

Agreed. Coupled with checking that it's not in gear when you start the ignition.

You only have to forget to take it out of gear once, and then you always remember (especially with a 2-litre turbo diesel).

I notice that the detractor still hasn't explained why it's a bad habit to leave a car in gear, when parked on a slope.

Reply to
southpawArcher

I'm sorry to hear that :(

Reply to
Nom

Hi,

It puts some stress on gears and pinions (spelling ?), and the most annoying thing is if someone bumps your car while parked in gear it could ruin your gearbox.

I don't know how you park in UK, but I'm sure it's the same way than in France :-) Another solution is to steer and put the tyre along the sidewalk so it touches the sidewalk's side. Works great, no need to get in gear - assuming that the slope's way won't change while you're parked :-) I don't know if my explaination is well written, but I'm sure you see what I mean.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

What happens when somebody whacks your parked in-gear diesel?

The advice to leave a car in gear (and turn the wheels) when parking on a hill is in the Highway Code now; it wasn't when I passed my test mmmmm years ago. Perhaps I should read it again!

Phil Cook

Certainly has been since I first read it in '89 and it makes sense as well, at least when in gear if the handbrake/parking brake fails then it'll not gather so much speed. Leaving it with the wheels turned slightly as well means that whatever way it rolls it'll not go far.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Well, not really ! Any load is minimal.

There is that. But if someone's smacked into your car, then you're screwed anyway :)

Reply to
Nom