307 hdi90 lumpy idle followup

Just been in the garage for 2 days and have now been informed the car needs a complete new fuel system and wasn't even told why.is it true i heard somewhere that the in tank fuel pump is breaking up and causing this?

Reply to
Ady

That is what happened to me. The lift pump starts to break up and contaminates the fuel system with metal particles. If you are lucky the fuel filter will be intact and you may get away lighter with a decent workshop who can flush everything through and replace the pump, I got away with £800. Peugeots answer is to replace everything from (and including) tank to injectors, I was quoted £3000 (the pump alone is around £500) by the Pug Agent. I don't know if you can get reconditioned ones cheaper though.

Reply to
Buccaneer

well it's a 2003 HDI 90 so i'm assuming it's being done under warranty,are they fitting a different model of pump?

Reply to
Ady

I have no idea. Mine is a 1999 HDI 110 and the pump went at 93,000 miles but I have seen cases where it has gone at less than 30,000. They must be aware of the problem but whether any attempt has been made to rectify it is another matter.

Reply to
Buccaneer

Mines only done 15000 miles,i think it's absoloutely ridiculous a major part like that can fail so soon.i'm waiting to hear tommorrow how long it's gonna take to get all the parts together. :(

Reply to
Ady

I thought that this problem only affected the earlier HDI models. By 2003 they should have been using a later type of lift pump. Doesn't say much for the fuel filter either does it. I thought the whole point of a filter was to stop any type of crud reaching the high pressure pump.

Reply to
brian

I have a 2002 HDI 90 and I hear a wining sound in the back of the car. Is this possibly from the fuelpump as mentioned above? Rob

Reply to
Rob Duyf

Our 2001 51 reg 90BHP Hdi 307 had the whole fuel system replaced under warranty last year. We had been complaining of poor performance at idle and low revs and lumpy runing at low revs. It even cut out one cold morning. The garage after a couple of visits admitted this is a known problem with the fuel pump and metal particles. Peugeot replaced everything as you said under warranty. But we had to have several further visits as the fuel tank kept crushing under vacuum. They eventually replaced the fuel tank again and all is now fine now, except for the blasted indicator problem. Managed to get a further 6 months warranty out of peugeot, but I think we've had it with them.

Robert

Reply to
Rob (UK)

the fuel tank kept crushing? what do you mean exactly? Also since the new fuel system has it been idling and running ok?

Reply to
Ady

Sorry, The fuel tank should have a means of allowing air into the tank as the fuel is used up. My 406 has a small valve just inside the fuel filler. If this release valve is not functioning as in the case of my first replacement tank, as the fuel was used up, the bottom of the tank started to squash in, a bit like sucking the air out of a fizzy drink bottle. Apparantly on the 307 fuel tank the air release valve is on the top of the tank, you cannot see it when fitted to the car. When this happened to our tank, the plastic bits under the tank (some sort of mud guard if you have a look) all broke off and dragged on the ground, this is what first alerted me to a problem.

To be honest this car has been a nightmare from the start and I cannot reccommend 307's at all, and personally will not buy another French car.

Robert

Reply to
Rob (UK)

I fully agree,I've had a 51 plate 307 hdi 90 for about 8 months previous to this 2003 model and i had lower arm bush problems with that 1,which was in warranty and they were quoting me approx £450.00 to replace lower arms even though it was in warranty,which is why i part ex'd for this 1 which now i'm having even more problems with and i've only had it 5 months,as you i will NOT be purchasing any more pug's in my lifetime,It's kinda strange cause i was recommended to pug diesels from a friend on they're so called long term reliability,I think he's feeling a bit red faced now cause i've just about had enough of them.

Reply to
Ady

What a right old mess. I have a Peugeot 106 and it is an absolutely FANTASTIC car. Seriously. It was cheap to buy, is cheap to run, is reliable and a great car to drive. It is everything I want in a car.

Meanwhile, my girlfiend got a Peugeot 307 company car. First one was OK, just the usual teething problems, but she recently got a new one and it is a complete pile of crap.

The amount of things that have gone wrong is comical, and she took it in once to have an issue with rattling suspension and on the invoice she got back it didn't mention this problem but said that the car had a software upgrade. So, being an inept dealer, they obviously lost the details of the problem with the car and just routinely did a software upgrade and charged her company for the privilege.

It really is a good job she's a company car driver because she can rely on free replacement cars, and gets free breakdown cover. She has been ready to crash it deliberately just to write the bloody thing off!

Anyway, I know that when I have to buy a new car, it will not be a Peugeot. On the basis of my car, I cannot recommend them enough, but that is because it was a nice, cheap, reliable and functional car. As I say, everything I want.

But on the basis of a 307, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

But, having said all that, two managers at my work have £35,000 Mercedes and they have been piles of s**te too. Mostly electronics problems, although the turbo has gone on both of them, and one comical problem my boss had was when the lights were switched to full beam, they stuck on full beam, even if you turned the engine off and on again.

So I wouldn't touch Mercedes with a bargepole, either. Their dealers sound just as inept as Peugeot, too.

MS

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]