307 head gasket and water pump damage

Can a leaking head gasket cause damage to the water pump? Cause this is the story I heard today from the service manager of my local dealership.

FYI, the car had started producing a distinct engine noise at 65K (kilometers, not miles), which the mechanics attributed to a water pump going bad. They replaced the pump and timing belt while at it.

But is their theory plausible? Also, I know about the oil in coolant and coolant in oil symptoms when a head gasket blows. But can the leak be actually visible, such as a valve cover gasket one?

Thanks,

Nikolas

ps. Peugeot 307 1.4L petrol, 2003, 65K.

Reply to
rdrnws

Never heard of it before.some one there is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Reply to
Chrs