307 oil level indicator

I have just had the oil level sensor replaced for the third time on my

51 reg. 307 Rapier. The dealer claims that it's a totally new design with a new part number and ought to finally cure the problem of false low oil warnings.

The part was fitted on Monday and I have twice had low oil warnings since. On both occasions, it was when I had restarted the engine a few minutes after getting the car out of the garage. According to the handbook, you CAN get false warnings if the engine has not been off for

10 minutes.

So far, I have not had any low oil warnings when starting the engine when the car has been parked up for several hours, something that seemed to happen fairly frequently in the past.

Should I be concerned about the low oil warnings that I'm now getting, or just accept that Peugeot have still not really fixed the problem?

Thanks.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Dalgleish

I'd just ignore it. After all, assuming you do your 'weekly' dipstick checks, a catastrophic oil loss, or oil leaks/oil burn, would be obvious in other ways.

I've had the same problem (53 1.6 'S'), it seems to be completely random when it occurs. I'll probably mention it next time the car is in for a service.

Reply to
Gunslinger

I had the same problem with my 807. Some months ago it suddenly told me it hadn't got any oil in the middle of Dartmoor (certainly picks its places!). A quick check of the dipstick told me it was lying, so whenever it tells me it is empty - usually first thing in the morning - I just don't believe it. Mentioned it to our dealer, they reckon it is a thing on 206's as well and there is a software patch that cures it on those. They said they could change the sender unit under guarantee if I wanted, but it is a pig of a job on an 807, but they would rather not if it wasn't actually the sender that was at fault. They had already done one and it hadn't helped. However the darned thing knows it's due for a service soon so it has started to behave itself. When I book it in I'll ask them to check with the works to see what the latest info is.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Never rely on an oil level sensor is my view. I did once, on a Lancia, with dire results. Suitably shocked at how easy it is to wreck an engine when the oil level is low, since then I have always checked the oil level weekly.

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:cl8k30$e8m$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
Hardgrafter

Had the same problem with my 02 reg 307 hatch. Never cured despite various software upgrades. I now have a 307 SW 90 HDi, and believe it or not, it's just exhibited the same fault for the first time (now 3.5k miles ). Don't expect anything, but will check at next service. dq

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:cl8k30$e8m$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
david quinn