307 Speakers

Hi, I am fed up with my cruddy sound system in my 51 pate 307, from what i can make out one of the front door speakers are loose as this rattles lol, but what i wanted to know was what type and spec speakers would i need for my car, i cannot afford to replace the head unit but i was thinking it would sound better with different speakers. these would also have to be a direct replacement as i dont wish to mod my car so a straight swap is whats required.

So what size, Wattage, brand ect would i need?

Regards Robert

Reply to
Robert Lampard

You may replace the fronts with 6.5" 'drivers and the rears with

5.25" (not sure on front splits - probably 1" tweeter), however I doubt it will make a lot of difference to be honest. Unfortuantely the poor sound quality stems from the internal amplifier of ye ol' RD3 Clarion headunit. Change this and you can leave the existing speakers...they actually sound good with a bit of power behind them. You could add in a small power amp in between your existing headunit and the existing speakers...but when I say small, I mean small...like 40RMS by 4 way at most. You'll also need to take your pride and joy back to the dealership so they can change the audio output of the headunit to low level. This involves connecting up your beast to the Diag 2000 system (I'm pretty sure only PUG dealers have this) and configuring the audio output through there. Hope I helped. Dan.
Reply to
tricky4000

You have , Thanks m8, So it looks like i have to get a betterer cd head unit:-( it will have to wait a while though till i can save some pennies lol. I thought this may be the case but also does this mean if i change my head unit the remote steering track changer and dash display will no longer work with it or is there a way round this?

Robert

Reply to
Robert Lampard

There are certainly ways around this (RE remote issue). Have a deeper look in this group about the topic, you'll find many reports. There are converters cables you can purchase for brands other than Clarion too. D

Reply to
tricky4000